Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new Magentis 2ltr automatic TO TOW A CARAVAN-find it jumps in and out of gear all the time, no pulling power. Can get only 9.9 miles to a gallon. Am trying to get dealer to refund as vehicle is unfit for purpose that it was purchased. Need more information to aid legal advisor

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem you are in right now. The reason it is getting low gas milage and has no pulling power is becasue it is not a vehicle designed to tow stuff. Did your dealer know what you were going to do with it before you bought it?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by beryl wright@Nov 4 2005, 05:36 PM
Bought new Magentis 2ltr automatic TO TOW A CARAVAN-find it jumps in and out of gear all the time, no pulling power. Can get only 9.9 miles to a gallon. Am trying to get dealer to refund as vehicle is unfit for purpose that it was purchased. Need more information to aid legal advisor
Umm.. well first off there are NO cars that I know of that could TOW another car.. let alone a VAN.. let's see.. maybe you should go back to the dealership and trade it in for a Sorento.. that COULD TOW! heh :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply to ahfrederick- I'm in England and we call a caravan a van. Just 1250 kgs fully loaded, 2 wheels, probably a little larger than what you would call a trailer tent as such. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to veteran member no 2839. Yes, absolutely only reason we wanted a new car was to tow our new caravan. 2 wheel, it weighs 1250 kgs,

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Thats too much weight for the Magentis to pull. I have never seen a Magentis/Optima tow anything. 1250 kgs = 2755 pounds and thats prett heavy. Its not good for your car to tow it.

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
I had a Toyota Camry a few years ago with a 4 banger and towed a little tent camper of about 1000 lbs. It handled it going from New Hampshire to Arizona and back. The car had over 140,00 miles on it. I suppose my Optima V6 could handle it even better but I agree with the other posters that cars like the Optima and Camry really aren't meant to tow much weight behind them. I can't imagine a dealer recommending you to do so here in the States. The Sorento would be the vehicle of choice the weight you are wanting to pull.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by beryl wright@Nov 6 2005, 04:33 PM
Reply to ahfrederick- I'm in England and we call a caravan a van. Just 1250 kgs fully loaded, 2 wheels, probably a little larger than what you would call a trailer tent as such. Thanks
ok, still... the optima was NOT made to tow anything... it is a passanger vehicle to carry 4-5 adults.. you should have thought about getting the Sorento instead of the Optima.. just a thought..

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by Schnauzer@Nov 6 2005, 11:10 PM
I had a Toyota Camry a few years ago with a 4 banger and towed a little tent camper of about 1000 lbs. It handled it going from New Hampshire to Arizona and back. The car had over 140,00 miles on it. I suppose my Optima V6 could handle it even better but I agree with the other posters that cars like the Optima and Camry really aren't meant to tow much weight behind them. I can't imagine a dealer recommending you to do so here in the States. The Sorento would be the vehicle of choice the weight you are wanting to pull.
I for one would not recommend doing so.. but it's your car, so you do what you wish. I'm sure that if the towing heavy weight could/SHOULD void your warrenty..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for quick reply. The handbook quotes kerb weight 1490kgs. braked towing weight 1700 kgs. going by the Caravan Club recommendation for towing we are within 85% which is supposed to be optimum weight. A test on a rolling road says unable to stay in right gear and not able to test properly. Beryl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bery,
Are you using the manual shift option when you tow? If you are not, this might help with the wandering gear speed problem. Let us know how you make out! I have a boat I would like to tow with my Optima and I read the same towing specs you did. I also talked to the dealer who said towing did not void the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reply to salvagetherapy. Thanks for input. Not using manual gear change, was told it was not necessary. dealer says told quite OK to tow caravan. Petrol consumption is the real problem, does only 9.9 miles to UK gallon. Expensive. Wish I'd never purchased the vehicle. Beryl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no sag to the rear of car as long as the nose-weight is absolutely right. I keep all items that are heavy low down over the axle. My problem is it doesn't stay in the right gear just goes from 2/3 and back. Never gets into 4th and drinks petrol as if it was a Rolls Royce Hows the petrol consumption on yours. Our car has only just done 3,000 miles. Beryl

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well 1,000lb works out only 450kg for 6 adults which unlikely a problem for V6 Optima/Magentis. I ever packed 6 big adults in my previous Optima 2.0 for 1000km at 100-120kph. Smooth and comfortable ride all the way at only about 3000-3500rpm. Only problem is just be alittle more patience with acceleration.

The van here is certainly alot heavier than this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't figured out the fuel consumption on my Optima, but I would guess it's approximately 23 - 25 mpg based on what I spend each week. The transmission and the soft suspension are the only complaints I have with the car. I routinely use the manual shift since I drive in rush hour traffic frequently. My guess is that the frequent shifting between gears is do to the lack of torque around 2-3500 rpm. I just hate it when the transmission dumps from gear 4 to 2 at 40 mph and jumps the rpms to over 4k rpm. That can't be good in the long run.

The soft suspension can be remedied, and with the multi link independent front and rear suspension should make this car handle well. My only reservation in doing this is that the aftermarket springs available will lower the car. Since I would like to tow my boat, I'm worried about clearance issues when towing. As you suggested, if you balance your load over the axle, it should reduce rear end sag to a minimum.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
LOOK, bottom line is that it's YOUR car.. you do with it what you will.. IF you wish to kill the car quickly, then please keep doing what you're doing and STOP TELLING US!!! IT just makes you look like an ****! TOWING anything behind the OPTIMA (a SMALL UHAUL trailer is ok..) is just MURDER to the car, PERIOD! The Optima was NOT made to tow ANYTHING! So drop the topic and move on! There's NOTHING more to discuss on the matter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so its my car. But I bought it ESPECIALLY TO TOW and the dealer sold it to me for just this purpose. What I really want is for them to take back the car as being unsuitable for the purpose it was bought for. Im just finding out if other people have had the same problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts