Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm down to testing the compression, which will most likely confirm what I know already, that I need to replace the head gaskets. ( classic signs, white smoke) The car heated up pretty bad and I'm more than sure that the heads are warped if not cracked. Can these be machined down or am I looking at replacing them? This is OEM head? aluminum? Can I have it pressed? And if it is cracked or a hair line, can this be sealed?Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Cylinder head refurb places will know how much the can skim the head and can measure what's needed before they start. Certain cracks can be repaired.

Often refurb exchange is the quickest and cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took off the cylinder head and had it tested. Turns out it was warped twice the maximum amount of what can be machined off. I went ahead and ordered a refurbished one ( cheaper than the fuel pump was) and should get it in soon. Question: it had metal(alum?) gaskets/spacers. Should these all be replaced? The head gasket kits have a ton of pieces which I'm not sure I need. I only saw one for the intake and exhaust manifolds and the large one that detached when I first opened it up.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,962 Posts
Took off the cylinder head and had it tested. Turns out it was warped twice the maximum amount of what can be machined off. I went ahead and ordered a refurbished one ( cheaper than the fuel pump was) and should get it in soon. Question: it had metal(alum?) gaskets/spacers. Should these all be replaced? The head gasket kits have a ton of pieces which I'm not sure I need. I only saw one for the intake and exhaust manifolds and the large one that detached when I first opened it up.
Good luck with the replacement head installation.

I think what you're referring to as metal(alum) spacers are an integral part of the cylinder head gasket.
I always go for the full top end gasket set and replace all gaskets.

Be sure to use a good coolant additive right from the start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts