Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 1.4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Is there anyone here that has already or will be doing any suspension upgrades.
This is one of my ideas for future as the car sits a little high.
If i do it wont be by much but just to give it a little bit of a better stance.
If you have done by how much did you lower it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
H&R® Sport Lowering Springs 2012 Kia Rio

Those are the only springs that I have found available to us so far. I would prefer to buy a coilover set up for the rio as I plan on doing some autocross with it on the weekends with my grandfather's auto club. I have considered putting the SX springs, dampers, and front sway bar onto my LX but it would be pricey to buy all of that new. I'll have to wait for a totaled SX to show up in a junkyard :)

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata, 2013 Rio EX
18 Posts
I want to do this my self. I usually use Eibach Pro-Kit or sportline springs with Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks, but at the moment I don’t see parts available yet from either company. I would use the H&R springs but I won’t drop the car on stock shocks. It’s a no go until I cant find a set.

·
Registered
2011 kia rio 5speed 4door
2 Posts
I have been looking into lowering my 2011 rio also but I haven't found anything but the springs listed above does anyone know if any previous years parts are compatable 2g on a 3g suspension wise because Iv debated on fabricating new mounts to adapt civic coilovers in place of the rio shocks but if I can find coilovers from an 06-09 rio I'd rather use that so I don't void my warranty lol thanks a lot

·
Registered
'12 Rio5 SX, '04 Nissan Armada, '99 ZX-7R, '12 Z1000
100 Posts
I want to do this my self. I usually use Eibach Pro-Kit or sportline springs with Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks, but at the moment I don’t see parts available yet from either company. I would use the H&R springs but I won’t drop the car on stock shocks. It’s a no go until I cant find a set.
same here.
even if Bilstien came out with some shocks i think i would jump on a spring kit.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
the rio is one of the few cars that need more shock valving out of the box to daily drive. car is a pogo'ing mess. nevermind it has nearly no camber, and needs a metric ton more.

if you get a bar, i highly suggest just a rear bar. she understeers in a major way, even with 60+ psi out back. only way to get her to rotate is to stab the brake mid corner, and that is highly not recommended... :p

BUT, i drive the sh!t outta my cars. if i get it classed properly for next season, i will throw a ton of parts at it, namely a fairly aggressive suspension setup.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
the rio is one of the few cars that need more shock valving out of the box to daily drive. car is a pogo'ing mess. nevermind it has nearly no camber, and needs a metric ton more.
Are you talking camber angle on the rear wheels?
Im curious because the camber angle on my Rio is obvious enough that Ive found myself checking other makes of car to compare. The only hatch with more that I have found is the VW Golf and Polo.

Maybe this is one of the differences they speak of in the suspension set up for Australia.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Are you talking camber angle on the rear wheels?
Im curious because the camber angle on my Rio is obvious enough that Ive found myself checking other makes of car to compare. The only hatch with more that I have found is the VW Golf and Polo.

Maybe this is one of the differences they speak of in the suspension set up for Australia.
Funny cuz i've been looking at mine thinking that it has more camber than most cars too. Maybe the SX setup.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Funny cuz i've been looking at mine thinking that it has more camber than most cars too. Maybe the SX setup.
Glad someone else has thought the same as me :D
Maybe you are right. Maybe the setup is just different in the higher models.
I had thought that because the Rio's coming to Australia had the suspension tuned for our roads that this is why the camber was so obvious but perhaps this is not the case.

Either way though, I must say Im not complaining cause I love the way this thing corners :D

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
B18c5rodney, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by rear bar. The rear suspension on the Rio is a swing axle, it does not encorporate an anti-sway bar like most are accustomed to. The guys at Nameless performance have designed a bar that increases the torsional stiffness of the rear axle on the Veloster (almost the exact same set up as the Rio). After talking with Jason from Nameless I found out the mounting holes they used for the bar on the Veloster do not exist on the Rio. Therefore, the only way to strengthen the swing axle would be to box it in or drill for mounting provisions.

Also, what is it you mean by having it classed properly. As far as my auto club is concerned it falls into H-Class showroom stock. Or do you plan on moving it to street prepared or something along those lines?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
We have a different suspension set up here in Australia.

Lowering, I still not sure if I would ever do it. Ive done the lowering thing with my other car and while it looks nice at the start if I could do it again I wouldnt bother. I went from your standard lowered springs to coilovers and overall it wasnt worth it.

But that is a completely different car.

Tyres are the most important thing for the car. Get a good set that your comfortable with then see if you want to lower it.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
the Rio has lots of negative camber on the back wheels, even on the base model here in Oz, was following one on the freeway the other day thinking it looked tough for a little fart-box

lowering makes cars look good, but drive like crap for every-day applications. I've done it many times before and wouldn't again on this car anyway. The SLS already rides like a horse and cart at times, don't want to make it worse.

·
Registered
hyundai Tucson
4 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and i saw a Rio with the hood open and realize that theres no way to put a strut bar on it, if we want to do it i think we need to make a mayor modification under the windshield.

I would like to know how to do it, or it is posible?, did anybody already install em?.

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Rio YB . GT-line 2018
210 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio White
3 Posts
@ Jasoncugs , Hi there,any luck with finding lowering springs for the 2012 Rio ? im also from SA and am looking for those springs high and low with no luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts