Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Malaysia which have a normal temperature of low 30's oC. I have a 2004 KIA Rio 1.3 auto transmission. On normal driving condition, my engine/coolant temperature can easily goes up to 120oC.
Can anybody help me on the options that I can have in order to lower my engine/coolant temperature? The options that I can think of are;
1. changing to a lower temperature thermostat
- will be pointless if my radiator fan does not come on at a lower temperature too
2. changing to a lower temperature radiator fan switch
- question is, is the switch is the same as the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS)?
3. adding additional radiator fan

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
I live in Malaysia which have a normal temperature of low 30's oC. I have a 2004 KIA Rio 1.3 auto transmission. On normal driving condition, my engine/coolant temperature can easily goes up to 120oC.
Can anybody help me on the options that I can have in order to lower my engine/coolant temperature? The options that I can think of are;
1. changing to a lower temperature thermostat
- will be pointless if my radiator fan does not come on at a lower temperature too
2. changing to a lower temperature radiator fan switch
- question is, is the switch is the same as the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS)?
3. adding additional radiator fan
Don't do it, your ECM will constantly be running in warm up mode, and use far more gas than it should.

Sounds to me like the radiator needs to be serviced. You can take it to a radiator shop, and they'll do it, or you can do it!

Drain the coolant, replace with 1 large (1 quart/liter) bottle of Vinegar (mild acid), and the rest water, run to operating temperature, shut off and drain. One more flush of pure water, then refill with 50/50 antifreeze/water.

MOST OF ALL, there is a reason your car is getting hot, find out what it is...

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
The etcs send's the signal to the ECM to turn on the fan. Give your cooling system a good check first, T-stat/waterpump/radiator/blockage. And if your fan doesn't come on check your fan relay/fan and fuse. Did this problem just start or has it allways been like that? You could hook up a scanner to monitor the etcs and verify the fan comes on at the correct temperature. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts