Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sedona EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a ball joint, but the pinch bolt holding the joint to the knuckle appears to be frozen. I thought it would come right out after removing the nut (like the videos show), but was barely able to move it using a 2 foot breaker bar. And I do not want to snap off the bolt head. Any tips for getting it out?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,168 Posts
I've read in a number of other old threads here that this pinch bolt can be a real pain to remove. My suggestion is to use a chisel into the slot of the knuckle and try to increase the "gap" of it some.Then very liberal amount of PB Blaster penetrating oil sprayed and let soak into the area. IF your cars pinch bolt is a bolt with nut design, put the nut back on so there is just a small clearance to the knuckle (but NO bolt threads beyond the nut) and hit it with a goodly sized hammer. I've seen some cars use a splined bolt shaft to "lock" it in the knuckle that makes it impossible(seemingly) to turn the bolt out.

·
Registered
2011 Sedona EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I have tried all of this, but to no avail. I am getting ready to concede defeat and take it somewhere. But... I was thinking that if I happen to snap the bolt head off while trying to make it move, I could put a steel sleeve over the other end, then thread on the nut, then drive it out with an impact (i.e., drawing the broken bolt through the knuckle towards where the nut is) . But my fear is that the bolt is so frozen in there that that would not work, which then would necessitate having the vehicle towed, adding yet more to the cost of having someone else do the job (not to mention the cost of possibly having to replace the knuckle if the shop was unable to extract the bolt).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts