Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Low RPM stall; Only Starts after battery disconnect_connect

Kia Sedona 3.5, gas, 209k miles: :lol: after battery disconnect for over 1 hour.

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Low RPM stall; no start

Kia Sedona 3.5, gas, 209k miles:
Low RPM stall; Only starts after battery disconnect for over 1 hour.
-
I put all my trust in this 2003 KIA Sedona, bought "as is" from a used dealer. It is an auctioned car with a clean VIN 'Checked & 'Faxed.
My Sedona feels solid & runs strong, interior & exterior clean enough after its 209k miles.

More about the stall; no start:
In the driveway;
Vacuum 20.2 in/Hg @ idle steady
Battery 2 years old; running 14.20VDC by DVM

On the road;
After stall; cranks.pause 10 sec.cranks...etc... no start
sounds like no fuel or spark. never kicks, not flooded
10 mpg estimated; 100 miles shows 1/2 of 19.8 gal. tank;
gas gauge is slow to fill.

Disconnecting [most convenient] Negative of the Battery for over an hour allows starting, then runs fine until next time. Fifth time in 300 miles city driving.

Tried;
removing & reinserting same good fuses & all relays in engine fuse box.
searching/reading KIA-forums

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
-Ran the engine in direct sunlight @ idle for 1 hour waiting for failure.
-No failures.
-Found the (TPS) Throttle Position Sensor, didn't remove, need stubby #2 phillips head.
-pulled the idle screw adjustment nylon cap &
-set the idle screw from 500-700 to 900-1100; hoping it won't stall in traffic.

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Idle screw increase doesn't prevent KIA stalls.

*stalled in traffic
-Idle screw RPM increase did not prevent stall today.
-The adjustment DID effect the transmission with harsher shift points.
-Disconnected Neg & Pos of battery for 5 min.
-Then started & drove OK

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Local shop purged gas lines with hi octane & flushed auto trans @ 208,683 miles.
Low RPM stalled once after that in city; then drove 200 miles shifting from Drive to Neutral @ stops:
Never stalled, got about 15-17 MPG.
Nice KIA smooth ride.
However, 90°F. next day stall cost family an hour.
This is getting old.
Narrowing the symptoms to heat, imho the dash gauge works & shows proper engine heat.
Normal under hood engine heat is causing which engine compartment COMPONENT to fail?
To test the component theory: Where is the thermostat?

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
Does the CEL ever comes on? As for the disconnecting the battery process, I believe, is actually resetting PCM before you can start the engine. The Problems sounded should have triggered the CEL. If the previous owner disabled the CEL, you might still can pull some codes. Wouldn't hurt to give a try.

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the CEL ever comes on? As for the disconnecting the battery process, I believe, is actually resetting PCM before you can start the engine. The Problems sounded should have triggered the CEL. If the previous owner disabled the CEL, you might still can pull some codes. Wouldn't hurt to give a try.
Thanks for the tip Bruce.
Ck Eng lite comes on when gas cap is loose and sometimes after battery removal.
Never comes on after the stall tho.
Still having trouble with stalling for no reason & not restarting.
I can buy some parts after SS payday.

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bruce2,
Replacing the crank position sensor (CPK) fixed my stalling 2003 Kia Sedona 3.5L, 210K miles. The code at dealership was PO335. Nightmares over, now runs fine.

Questions: Told by a mechanic that his diagnostic machine would not display codes until the CEL was ON. Is it true? Is there an OBD that will measure the codes with CEL OFF?

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After replacing the "overheating" crank position sensor (CPK), '03 Sedona now 220k with no more stalling problems!
Kindly put any more instances of Crank Position Sensor (CPK) overheating here on KIA-Forums.com
Mike

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'03 Sedona 3.5 CPK change fixed stalling.

After replacing the "overheating" Crank Position Sensor (CPK), '03 Sedona now 220k with no more stalling problems!

Kindly put any more instances of Crank Position Sensor (CPK) overheating here on KIA-Forums.com

I bought an OBD2 & every test since CPK change has been good.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts