Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...I have only just joined this forum...for the simple reason I have just purchased a lovely metallic green 2000 model Carnival.
Before you think stupid, let me say that this vehicle is in very nice condition having travelled only 150,000ks. It has everything that opens and shuts,
including cruise control and dual fuel. It obviously has an engine fault...motor is quite smokey and I suspect a valve out. Being an ex mechanic, I love a challenge!
I have a couple of questions that those in the know may have answers for...

1. Where do I find a repair manual? I know all about the Rover KV6 thingy and find the whole engine scenario quite fascinating!
2. There's no water loss or overheating problem and it's had a new short motor fitted, judging by the engine number ending in A. Am I correct in this?
3. Am I correct in thinking the A means the block has had the revised sleeves fitted?
4. I'm also assuming the LPG conversion has knocked out the valves/seats etc, does the engine not have hardened seats from new?
5. I plan to document the repair procedure here if any of you guys are interested?
6. Valve stem seals are causing the oily exhaust...(I hope) as it doesn't smoke under full throttle what d'yer think about this?
7. Was it a stupid descision to buy this lovely vehicle? LOL.

I have also done a lot of snooping and unearthed some great KIA parts outlets, as I'll need bolts, gaskets etc. It looks like an exciting time ahead... hope to
remove the heads this weekend and check things out further.

Cheers, Razz.:lol:

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Hi Razz,

Hi Guys...I have only just joined this forum...for the simple reason I have just purchased a lovely metallic green 2000 model Carnival.
Before you think stupid, let me say that this vehicle is in very nice condition having travelled only 150,000ks. It has everything that opens and shuts,
including cruise control and dual fuel. It obviously has an engine fault...motor is quite smokey and I suspect a valve out. Being an ex mechanic, I love a challenge!
I have a couple of questions that those in the know may have answers for...

1. Where do I find a repair manual? I know all about the Rover KV6 thingy and find the whole engine scenario quite fascinating!
You can find a workshop manual for the K5 (aka KV6, GV6) engine here.

2. There's no water loss or overheating problem and it's had a new short motor fitted, judging by the engine number ending in A. Am I correct in this?
No idea I'm afraid, but from your post in the Carnival forum it sounds ok from the liner perspective & is worth getting going.

3. Am I correct in thinking the A means the block has had the revised sleeves fitted?
ditto

4. I'm also assuming the LPG conversion has knocked out the valves/seats etc, does the engine not have hardened seats from new?
Yeah I recall someone commenting that these engines are not good on LPG. Although I thought hardened seats were introduced universally when TEL was taken out of the fuel.

5. I plan to document the repair procedure here if any of you guys are interested?
You bet! I have started doing the same thing in a modest way, mainly due to my annoyance at the workshop manuals (some of them qualify for the Booker prize). Not that Kia is greatly worse than other manufacturers, or Haynes et al for that matter ("replacement is the reverse of removal", yeah right).

You can see my first effort here, on replacing the fuel filter. I'm not a mechanic so coming at this very much from the novice DIYer's perspective.

6. Valve stem seals are causing the oily exhaust...(I hope) as it doesn't smoke under full throttle what d'yer think about this?
Has the piston discovery superseded this?

7. Was it a stupid descision to buy this lovely vehicle? LOL.
Not at all, we love our 2004 model for its comfort, roominess etc. I guess our main complaint has been with dealers, a long story, but it launched us into doing our own maintenance and repairs, we've had a ball.

I have also done a lot of snooping and unearthed some great KIA parts outlets, as I'll need bolts, gaskets etc. It looks like an exciting time ahead... hope to
remove the heads this weekend and check things out further.
I've been pleasantly surprised a couple of times now that the genuine parts have been less expensive than quality aftermarket ones (which is a new experience). Not that I've spent a lot of time researching sources. Doing my own maintenance (e.g. timing belts, front oil seal, fuel filter, brake pads, plugs) has meant I've spent about 15% of what I would have had I taken the thing to a dealer, so am well ahead. And that includes buying tools I found I needed.

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Peter...Now I'm getting all fired up..Bought an engine stand and parts are coming in thick an' fast. I'll know more in a few days. Burnt piston is definitely the cause of the oily exhaust...Liners are still nice an' proud throughout, so I'll be using MLS head gaskets. Thankfully the mechanic in me is coming out again, after twenty years! LPG runs hotter than petrol so maybe this was the reason the piston melted away?

·
Registered
Kia Carnival
24 Posts
Kia Engine

G`day,i just read your posts and I like what you are doing.To have your piston out you will need to open your sump and probably remove the bearing ladder as well.Depending on your skills you might be able to knock out the liner without the need to remove the bearing ladder.Since you are a mechanic try using something like a vice grip to grip the liner from top side,if it`s not stuck it should be able to be pulled out easily.If it has seized then you have to go the longer route.Remember to remove bolts on the back of the sump close to the rear main seal and the oil seal plate need to be reoved first anotherwise you will end up replacing lots of stuff.I am working on a Kia Engine and I will be posting a step by step guide to work on these engines.I will attach photos as well.The manuals are a bit vague so having photos will make many members happy.

If you need any info just drop a post here and i will pick it though a bit late but I will respond

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what you're saying, it sounds like the big end doesn't fit through the sleeve? I had planned to leave the sleeve in place as it's still sealed nicely and hoping to locate a piston of similar size/weight and just replace it. I'll know more once the sump/lower crancase half is off. I have everything else sorted..including rings from Lithuania, thermo housings, MLS gasket set and lower engine gasket set from the UK. Maybe I can buy a single piston brand new?

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was lucky enough to source a piston of identical size: D. Had it pressed onto the original conrod for $58. The sleeves simply push out after a tap on the rod with a wooden handled hammer. Pistons need to be fitted through the bottom of the sleeve and the assembly pushed back into place. Be sure to check that seated liners stand slightly proud of the block...not much, just a whisker...around 0.015mm and be sure to add a bead of decent sealer around the lower lip prior to fitting the liners. Best to clamp them down whilst it goes off. Check my other posts for a more detailed description.

Never had any experience with rebuilding a Kia/Rover KV6/K5 engine before, so I'm obviously flying by the seat of my ass...:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Obviously the seat of my ass can still assemble a motor even after a twenty year break. Lovely green Carnival now runs like a Swiss....er Korean watch. Just to repaint the bonnet and we're done. Such a sweet motor.. I'm getting another one to play with...:p

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Carnival
24 Posts
Obviously the seat of my ass can still assemble a motor even after a twenty year break. Lovely green Carnival now runs like a Swiss....er Korean watch. Just to repaint the bonnet and we're done. Such a sweet motor.. I'm getting another one to play with...:p
Addicted to the KV6 Motor now.That`s the spirit.I have found these cars very enjoyable to drive.I have two of them.One is a 2004 model the other a 2002.I prefer the transimission on a 2002 because it has Economy and Sporty mode.The 2004 is sort of locked in the sporty range thereby runs on high revs.I have finished rebuilding the 2002 motor and I will be posting the photos of assembley soon.The head gasket had gone loosing coolant.I have put Elastometric ones and some new piston rings to it.I also opened the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and cleaned them because it had started going going tick tick in the morning so I just thought of doing a thorough job coz I dont want to be disappointed by something I know how to fix.These engines are not so forgiving becoz of difficulty to getting to certain areas once the engine has been put on the car.You are better spending more time to do the right thing when the engine is down

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just passed the 6000km mark and my rebuilt little V6 is purring. Just about to rebuild another engine for the overall fun of it. LOVE this 2000 Kia Carnival...:p

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Sounds like the engine isn't as "bad" as believed..you guys offer hope to others with bad engines down under...
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts