Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my Mom buy a new car last year and we found the Rondo. My car has been in and out of the shop lately so I'm borrowing her car for the week. I've been noticing each time I drive it that it's pretty loud, especially since I drive 25 miles to work one way. I can't imagine it being the tires because it seems too loud for that but I could be wrong.

To me it seems like most of the noise is coming from the rear and it doesn't sounds mechanical but more so like a moving part. I'm not sure if it still has the OEM tires but I'm assuming since it only has 35k on it and she's had it for about a year. I wish I had more information but because I don't drive it every day I don't know if it's sounded like this from day one or if it's just progressively gotten louder.

Any insight would be great, especially if all it is would be getting different tires because I can help her find a much better set.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Is it a thump, metallic clunk, grind, whine, squeak, rattle, etc? We need to know more specifics before we can point you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I guess the noise might be coming from open windows in the back.
:D

Seriously - would you be so kind and give more details?
Besides, did you check anything such as what is the tread (why would you assume they are good at 35k??), pressure, uneven wear, loose suspension parts, and so on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its louder as you drive faster and is just like a whirring I suppose. I talked to my Mom about it and she said it's been like that since she bought it. The tread wear is still within inspection standards, brakes were just replaced by the dealer (covered), suspension is fine, bearings are fine. As I listened to it today it's not coming from a specific side, it's just all around. I've never had any loud tires on either of my cars, I've tried to buy fairly quiet ones, so that's why I'm not too sure. I don't know how else to explain the noise but the way it gets louder at higher speeds is reminiscent of a bad bearing but I know what that sounds like and I've ruled that out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
1. does it change with different surface? such as concrete, asphalt...
2. any changes in sound when making slow or sharp turns?
3. move your hand over the tread - gently swipe your hand on it - how does it feel? go both ways (forward/backward) - any pointy parts? Is it even wear?

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Tyre pressure

Hi.

I realise you have had the Rondo for a year, but there was a thread somewhere on here about the dealers or the manufacturers over inflating the tyre pressure for delivery , for some reason. Could it be something as simple as your tyre pressures.:)

Do you know if your mum ever corrected the tyre pressures after the sale, as the thread I mentioned talked about.:D

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Also maybe try driving slowly with all the windows open, maybe helps to locate if it's coming from the tires.

Perhaps one of the plastic parts under the car is a bit loose and dangled low enough to rub on the tire, and just needs to be tucked back into place. Maybe also a plastic bag or something from the road got swept up into a wheel well and is rubbing like that. Are you able to poke your head underneath and have a look around for anything out of place?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts