Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Sportage SX makes a loud thunk or bang coming from underneath the vehicle a few minutes after parked, regardless of outside temperature. dealer can find nothing wrong. Does anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
66 Posts
Is the sound occurring after you park your car and it has been sitting for a few minutes, or while driving after it has been parked for a few minutes?

If it is while driving after it has been parked, and occurs when you hit 20mph (30km/h), then I believe that is the esc system doing a check.

See this link: https://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2016-2018-sportage/319130-thump-20mph.html

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is the sound occurring after you park your car and it has been sitting for a few minutes, or while driving after it has been parked for a few minutes?

If it is while driving after it has been parked, and occurs when you hit 20mph (30km/h), then I believe that is the esc system doing a check.

See this link: https://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2016-2018-sportage/319130-thump-20mph.html
That's not the situation. I have to say I've never heard of anything like this before. Sometimes if you park on a slope and use the parking brake, it might slip a little which will make kind of a popping noise but I don't really think that's it. Now I'm assuming it is parked and turned off, right? Suppose it had dirty injectors and some fuel got into the cat converter and combusted after shutting down the engine? Hey, I'm guessing here, give us some more clues.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,084 Posts
My 2016 Sportage SX makes a loud thunk or bang coming from underneath the vehicle a few minutes after parked, regardless of outside temperature. dealer can find nothing wrong. Does anyone else experience this problem?
Do you have a 2016 and a 2017? Your profile shows 2017.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
104 Posts
I don't know if this is at all related so if not, please ignore. We have a 17 Sportage EX and a 16 Optima SXL...the Optima has the electronic parking brake whereas the Sportage EX does not. Anyway, on the Optima, if I have the electric (or electronic) parking brake activated, when I shut the car off, there is a bit of a "clunk" after I shut it off. IF...and I do mean if...your Sportage has that feature and you use it frequently, maybe try and have that feature shut off prior to turning the car off. I found that during process of elimination and the dealer also confirmed that it activates the emergency brake and therefore the 'clunk'.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would think its your exhaust system cooling .
This is certainly possible although it is mostly heard on new cars - after the exhaust system gets 'broken in' the expansion/contraction doesn't make much sound. I wouldn't think it would still be heard on a 2016 unless something is different in that system, like new parts or some kind of damage.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 2017...typo (wife's car is a 2016 "other" :) )

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This problem continues...I've been researching since dealer cannot find a problem (but hears the noise...) Could it be the heat shield in the exhaust?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage lx awd
30 Posts
You sure it's from under car and not under dash? My 2015 climate control makes noise when I shut off my vehicle. It sounds like the directional gates close to a closed position after having the fan motor blowing through vents.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
836 Posts
heat shields will rattle at a particular resonate frequency, usually a specific engine rpm...

If it's a tink noise repeating several times, that's exhaust system cooling down and metal contracting.
a muffled click or thump could be automatic headlights turning off.
A louder thunk or bang could be the throttle body slapping shut.

Hard to say without a much more specific noise description, and general area it seems to be emanating from.

·
Registered
2012 Black Cherry Sportage LX (Totaled), 2017 Mineral Silver Sportage LX
68 Posts
mine did this but only once. just last week after driving about 10 miles. scared the hell out of me.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I had this issue on my 2015' Sorento, it used to backfire in the engine pipe, or exhaust pipe, regularly A few times it backfired out the exhaust after I shut it off! :eek: It turned out to be a muffler that went bad after about 40k miles. It appears as though the hot fuel mixture vapors were igniting/exploding inside those pipes! I finally replaced it with a Flowmaster Delta 50, it's fine, and even better all around now! ;) The shop I took it to showed me the inside of the Cat. & Piping, the rest was All Clear at the time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
32 Posts
Had this issue in my 2017 sportage and it went away. I think it was the exhaust system contract / expand. It was a popping noise as i'm walking away from car.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage EX- V6 AWD
1 Posts
Sweet Jesus! I thought I was the only one who heard this. I have a 2017 KIA Sportage. Loud bang when engine is cooling or warming up. NOT the normal ticking sound when cooling and NOT intermittent. Each and EVERY time. Loud enough where I can hear it from inside the house after I shut everything off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts