Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i have 2004 rio 1.5L with 25000Km

my engine is too loud, it sounds like my grand-father's 1984 Nissan Laurel :)
any ideas on what causes such a thing?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where is the sound coming from?

Is the sound from the engine area, exhaust, or the drivetrain? I had the flex-pipe on my exhaust manifold break apart on my '02 Rio at about 35k miles. I just bought the header from kia-fx.com and now have been dealing with check engine lights for the last 2 years or so. Interesting enough, there were no check engine lights even when the exhaust was screaming out of the manifold before the cat-converter. It sounded awesome, and I would have kept it that way if it passed emissions...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
I would say flex pipe is a good bet, but you would also notice some pretty lousy gas mileage in that case. when mine went, my gas mileage dropped significantly.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio 2011 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
817 Posts
Depending on whwere you O2 sensor are you can fix the check engine light.. Put the first O2 sensor at the bottom bung of the header and put the second O2 sensor behind the cat that should fix the O2 issue..

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
CEL Problems

I'll make sure I try that. As it is now, I have the first O2 sensor in the first bung and the second one behind the cat in a resonator (also from kia-fx.com). It worked fine for about 3 months after replacing the rear O2 sensor and the MAF. I'll try changing it up. I bought things called "spark-plug defoulers" that I've heard may help. I've read that you can put your O2 sensor in that and it will fix the problem. Is it safe to use those on both O2 sensors? I have 45K miles on my car. Do you think the cat-converter is still good? Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts