Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting to help my brother who just developed a loud ticking/knocking noise on his 2013 Rio. Apparently it started recently and wasn't always like this. Mileage is 165,000 kms, but other than the sound, it drives like normal with no loss of power or hesitation. He said it started happening after an oil change at an Active Green and Ross (similar to Goodyear service center). A separate independent shop read the codes and told him he needed a new engine, but didn't actually do any other diagnosis. I pulled the plugs and they all looked normal, possibly a little on the whiter side, but no oil and no carbon deposits or damage. Compression test (cold engine, accelerator floored) was 180, 165, 190, 200 PSI from left to right when looking at the engine bay standing in front of the car, so the second cylinder might be a problem. With a stethoscope, I couldn't really pinpoint the knocking sound but seemed a little louder from the top of the valve cover vs. lower down. I don't know if this is related, but he said he also has an oil consumption problem where the level on the dipstick drops from the top line to the bottom line in about 2500-3000 kms.

After getting home, I looked up the codes:
For p0011 and p0014, I can remove the solenoids and clean them, but would they cause the ticking sound? All they do is control cam timing, right?
For p054a and p052a, for now I'm assuming it's related to the above but don't know for sure.
Alternatively, considering the above 4 codes, could it also be a timing chain issue, either loose or skipped a tooth? But then the compression numbers should have been much lower if the timing is off to the point where the pistons are hitting the valves?
For p0326, I can measure the resistance of the knock sensor, but this sounds way louder than pre-ignition knocking. Sounds much more like physical contact.

I am waiting to find out if my brother remembers if the noise goes away when the engine is warm or when it is above idle to rule out oil flow. Last oil change invoice shows "Castrol 5w20 semi synthetic" and "21334 NAPA filter".

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that we also cleared the codes and started the engine and idled for 5-10 minutes and no codes were triggered. Don't know if the car has to be driven for those to be retriggered or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD
I've added the details that I know of. There is no SX or other model designation, and I don't know what size the engine is.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,149 Posts
.... Last oil change invoice shows "Castrol 5w20 semi synthetic" and "21334 NAPA filter". .....
Kia/Hyundai have issued multiple TSBs over the years stating that some aftermarket oil filters do not meet their required performance specs. However, no one (that I'm aware of) outside of the automaker's inner circle knows to what extent that claim is true. Personally I've filed this information in the 'possible' folder, and so I recommend that you replace the NAPA filter with the OEM Kia. Easy and inexpensive thing to try, before getting into more complicated things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next steps are to test the knock sensor and clean the VVT solenoid since those cost nothing. Then he will get the oil and filter changed after that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cant help with this situation but i have noticed the same with my 2013 kia rio as well. with the ticking and the oil consumption. i have been wondering the same exact thing, so even though im not glad its happening to your brother, i am glad to hear its a problem more common than just myself.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,728 Posts
I cant help with this situation but i have noticed the same with my 2013 kia rio as well. with the ticking and the oil consumption. i have been wondering the same exact thing, so even though im not glad its happening to your brother, i am glad to hear its a problem more common than just myself.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts