Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EXV6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Kia Rondo, EXV6, and this morning our key seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. We still have the fob, as it fell off a while ago and I keep it in my purse. I've been trying to do some research on the subject but I'm a bit confused about the how transponder/non transponder business.

Our local dealer quoted us just under $300 to replace the key, which is about half our monthly budget, so we're looking for any alternative. On a scale from 1-10, how boned are we?

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX 2.4L
5 Posts
Try a locksmith

Some locksmiths can make keys with chips in them, for some makes of cars. They usually charge quite a bit less than dealers. Call around. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage
16 Posts
Definitely see a quality locksmith. I was under the impression all Canadian models had a chip key why the USA models do not. Although I have had both a Ford and Chrysler key cut by a locksmith and learned to the vehicle, I did have a cut key for them where you don't. I know locally the locksmith would be about $100 for cutting a lost key plus service call unless you tow it to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts