Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Just bought a nice 2010 EX which uses the 6 button remote. This vehicle was from an estate settlement. Elderly gentleman, widowed, evidently put the unused second key & fob in a safe place. Anyway, I think the odds are that it will never make it's way to me at this point. His home & dealer was not local. I can visuallize it being on a table at an estate sale for 25 cents.
Is just going to a dealer & saying "get me one" my best option?
I see some advertised online, but I'm not knowledgable enough to be sure that what I buy will be correct for my van. Then, I still would have to take it to a dealer anyway for programming.
Am I correct in that the van is actually programmed to suit the key & fob? Just how wrong can I go with on-line buying?
Thanks,
lacon

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
would help us if we knew where you are located as vehicles are not equipped the same from country to country. For example in Canada most Kia's have built in immobilizer in the keyless remote, I don't think the US has it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
The EXs in the US also have an immobilizer. Both the key and transmitter will need programmed by the dealer.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
US EX models with the Luxury Package have the immobilizer. (You have luxury package if the van has leather seats) Spongebob is right, it must be programmed by the dealer. Last time I had FOBs programmed, it took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
This is a U.S. car. It was originally was bought in Florida. I'm in Knoxville, TN. It does have the Luxury Pkg.
I'm only about 3 miles from a dealer, so I'll stop by one day next week & get a price. I'll post what it will cost in case anybody is courious. Still going to wait a month or so just in case the lost one shows up.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
PM me the last 8 of your vin#, I'll save you some good money on a new transmitter and key.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great pricing, Cobra. That will save me some money. I'll get back to you shortly.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a LARGE majority of locksmiths DO NOT have the correct programming tools required for this particular vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a LARGE majority of locksmiths DO NOT have the correct programming tools required for this particular vehicle.
I would agree...also If, and I do mean IF, they have any factory transmitters they got them from a dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cobra's parts showed up yesterday, took them over to my local dealer, & got them programmed to my van this morning.
Dealer service was NOT cheap, but only he has the magic box, so I did my part to help him pay for it.
Looking around a little bit, replacement immobilizer keys & remotes are expensive to replace for all vehicles - nothing unique to Kia, so take care of yours.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Cobra's parts showed up yesterday, took them over to my local dealer, & got them programmed to my van this morning.
Dealer service was NOT cheap, but only he has the magic box, so I did my part to help him pay for it.
Looking around a little bit, replacement immobilizer keys & remotes are expensive to replace for all vehicles - nothing unique to Kia, so take care of yours.
Glad I could help! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts