Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2008 Kia Spectra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I recently had to get some work done on my 2008 Koa Spectra and this mechanic ended up being a rip off. He basically returned my car to me with the head, all the belts, cams, a bucket of nuts, bolts and the cam caps all in the trunk of my car. I plan on trying to sue this guy. But I have another guy who is going to fix my car, but he just does this stuff on the side and doesn't have a shop. I can't afford to go to a machine shop or pay another mechanic right now because of this money pit and the big problem we are running into are that the cam caps were not marked and we don't know what order they go in. Is there a way to find out the order? Also I have tried numerous times to get ahold of the original mechanic just to ask him if he could give me this information and he no longer answers my calls or my messages. I'm on my own.

· Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
592 Posts
Add you vehicle type into your profile otherwise this conversation will be terminated by the Supermoderator.

Can you take some picks of the caps and post them. Often they will have I (inlet) or E (exhaust) and a number. What engine type/code?

Also an arrow showing direction to front of motor

· Registered
2008 Kia Spectra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Add you vehicle type into your profile otherwise this conversation will be terminated by the Supermoderator.

Can you take some picks of the caps and post them. Often they will have I (inlet) or E (exhaust) and a number. What engine type/code?
Ok I did that and I have to wait until tomorrow to be able to take pics. I will also sort through the mess and inspect the caps closer for these markings. Also my engine is a 2.0 EX. I will post more tomorrow when it is light.

· Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
592 Posts
Ok I did that and I have to wait until tomorrow to be able to take pics. I will also sort through the mess and inspect the caps closer for these markings. Also my engine is a 2.0 EX. I will post more tomorrow when it is light.
If it's really filthy or varnished up , it could be concealed but they look like factory markings during manufacture to me. Undoubtedly your new helper knows what he's doing but I'll just point out to get the cam phasing correct since they are linked by chain. I had an interesting situation recently, a random person in my street needed som ehelp with a head replacement. Had no fire, no compression. Timing was good. Head was assembled by a workshop, and he was self fitting at home.

After a bit of research I went back to him and pointed out the cams were fitted wrong out by about 180 deg I think. Lucky no valve damage, early series Tucson witht he same type 2.0 engine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.