Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone first time kia owner.
I recently purchased a used 06 Sorento LX 5 speed manual. I knew there was a power steering leak and i recently replaced the high pressure side line which was the cause of said leak. The issue I'm having is after replacing the line and topping off the fluid with Dex 6 the steering worked great for about 30 seconds while at idle and then just completely locked up. I've done everything I can think of off hand with regards to removing trapped air in the system (not sure if there is still air trapped or it's a bad pump) I've put.the key to run and moved the wheel with the cap off the reservoir numerous times throughout a day to bleed any possible air out and I've even gone as far as breaking connections loose to check if different areas are getting fluid. Unfortunately I haven't resolved the issue and I still cannot move the steering wheel freely with the engine running or at idle which makes me suspect a bad pump. Your help is greatly appreciated.
- Ronnie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi everyone first time kia owner.
I recently purchased a used 06 Sorento LX 5 speed manual. I knew there was a power steering leak and i recently replaced the high pressure side line which was the cause of said leak. The issue I'm having is after replacing the line and topping off the fluid with Dex 6 the steering worked great for about 30 seconds while at idle and then just completely locked up. I've done everything I can think of off hand with regards to removing trapped air in the system (not sure if there is still air trapped or it's a bad pump) I've put.the key to run and moved the wheel with the cap off the reservoir numerous times throughout a day to bleed any possible air out and I've even gone as far as breaking connections loose to check if different areas are getting fluid. Unfortunately I haven't resolved the issue and I still cannot move the steering wheel freely with the engine running or at idle which makes me suspect a bad pump. Your help is greatly appreciated.
- Ronnie
If you are handy and If you want to keep the car, I would change the PS pump. It's not too expensive; you can try Rockauto or Advanceauto with coupon, you can get them for a reasonable price for a new one. And the actual engine performance gets a huge boost with a new good pump. Even your AC will work better due to less friction.

You can do it yourself. i did mine on a sedona (same engine). It's not that hard. You just have to empty fluid from reservoir and undo the drive belts then removing the bolts.

I think mostly likely your pump is done. If the engine is turning, it's turning both the drive belts are turning, your pump is turning. And if it's not giving the steering any boost that could mean the pumps is not working.

There is one thing you have to mind is that the original Mando (Korean made) pump and some Other pump has a small electrical wire connector on top of the pump. You really have to look for them before buying. Some reman or new from other makes do not have this. I was lucky to get a real Mando pump from Advance auto last year with coupon for about $70, real steal. It's no longer there now. And it has that wire connection as well.

Also, be careful with the copper washers on those high pressure and return hose connectors. Either get some washers from auto parts store or do not loose those washers.

One other issue i can think of is maybe your power steering rack is no good. That's a big money. Can't help you with that. (did you check if there is any leak from the rack?) Use a flashlight to really check the rack from the underneath.

Last issue could be the steering knuckle to the steering rack has some issue maybe? I don't know, I would thinks that's more rare?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I vacuum bled the system..... luckily there are no leaks. I eventually came to the conclusion that the pump was bad having more assistant at higher rpm Rather than at idle speed. I eventually took the pump off and spun the pulley by hand and noticed how gritty it sounded (like when a wheel bearing goes out) I'm currently in the process of acquiring a used replacement locally. As for the rack I doubt it it's an issue as the previous owner I got it from was driving it daily up until her leak was more frequent. Once I got the old line off I saw two splits and I think what eventually happened was that she was driving it... topping it off... driving it... topping it off etc for so long ( my neighbor) that it eventually burned the pump out which I suspected was also the problem after purchase and moving the car. Once again thank you for your suggestions and I'll be sure to post an update as soon as I can.
-Ronnie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I vacuum bled the system..... luckily there are no leaks. I eventually came to the conclusion that the pump was bad having more assistant at higher rpm Rather than at idle speed. I eventually took the pump off and spun the pulley by hand and noticed how gritty it sounded (like when a wheel bearing goes out) I'm currently in the process of acquiring a used replacement locally. As for the rack I doubt it it's an issue as the previous owner I got it from was driving it daily up until her leak was more frequent. Once I got the old line off I saw two splits and I think what eventually happened was that she was driving it... topping it off... driving it... topping it off etc for so long ( my neighbor) that it eventually burned the pump out which I suspected was also the problem after purchase and moving the car. Once again thank you for your suggestions and I'll be sure to post an update as soon as I can.
-Ronnie
Yeah, if you pulled the pump and turned the pulley and hear gritty sound. It's done. It should not make much noise at all, just a slight sound of the bearing going around.

Again, a new pump will help your engine so much. Bad pump really robs the engine with power via friction.

Good luck and post once done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: it was the power steering pump. I managed to find a used one locally for $30 off of another with a lot less mileage. Couldn't be any more Happy with having it driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts