Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...yet another problem with my fantastic KIA

Twice when driving the EPS light (red light) and the ESP light (yellow light) turns on and i loose all power steering. The car gets REALLY hard to handle and i do not want my wife (+1month old son) driving this car any more since its really dangerous!

When i restarted the car the problem was gone both times

Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
Don't blame you not wanting your family in the car. I would suggest rocking up to the dealer and explaining the problem so they can sort it!

·
Registered
kia ceed 1.6 CRDi LS
5 Posts
Had a similar problem with loss of power steering on start-up which corrected itself after a few seconds - but none the less worrying.
Dealer traced it to a corroded earth battery strap connection - replaced under Warranty.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
This is a major fault and i'm pretty sure its not just isolated in a few cases

Ok, i had the same issue on my Cee'd 1.4LX '07 - i only use it occasionally with the family so, i've put on it around 56k km to date. the first time it happened - last month, it almost caused me to crash because it happened while taking a sharp turn. the speed was fairly low but it did put me in a very dangerous situation, not to mention that my kid was in the car with me at the time!

The dealership/service wasn't helpful at all - the conclusion on their end - faulty sensor on the power steering - the fix is to replace the entire steering column which according to them is a procedure that i have to pay for (forget about the 7 year warranty - the car is 5.5 yrs old and the fine print says they only cover most systems in the vehicle up to 5 yrs). the cost of repair - 2600 EUR in parts and labor! (considering that's around 2/3 of the car's market value :) )

i was so pissed at first that i even started a blog about it - checkout ceed.im. i've described what happened there - and i will keep it updated for the most recent developments. Feel free to join me as i am convinced that this is not a random thing and the sensor fault is result of poor design of some sort.

Please, alert the dealer and write here or with the ceed.im blog if you have had similar experience so, that we could rise a case with Kia Motors since this is unacceptable behavior - to not handle it internally -

a tip for those of you out there who have experienced this issue - in my case something weird happened - the weather stayed very dry and warm for about 10 days and the car somehow stopped generating the error - it's been error free for almost 400km now which is unusual. so, i have my own theory now - i assume overtime in humid weather, some water drops might be condensing inside the system, around the contacts of the sensor resulting in sensor miss-fires and errors. the computer handles frequent errors from a system sensor like that by completely shutting down the system after XX number of consecutive errors. so, often clearing the errors will reset the system and make it operable for a while.

anyway this one is nasty and dangerous - i sure hope there's only a handful of us who have experienced it!

drive safe and stay alert at all times because Kia certainly has lived up to its latest slogan: The Power To Surprise!

good luck to all
-Nick

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Nick -
I think I've read a few of similar stories in this forum in the past. I hope you get yours sorted out.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
anyway this one is nasty and dangerous - i sure hope there's only a handful of us who have experienced it!
It isn't a Kia exclusive part so an underlying fault ought to show up on other cars. It would be interesting to know the life cost/reliability comparison between electric & hydraulic systems.

·
Registered
Ceed SW 1.6 LX Fresh
149 Posts
Mine was replaced because of other things, but the manufacturer of the new one is DAEWOO :D:D:D:D

So... i don´t think it is directly KIA´s fault... The only mistake KIA made is to choose DAEWOO as part supplyer.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
Nick -
I think I've read a few of similar stories in this forum in the past. I hope you get yours sorted out.
thanks Nikola, i guess the best way to resolve it to buy a new vehicle only this time i'm going German no more experiments with Korean wonnabes. i was looking into Sportage 2 months ago but guess what - no more kia for me.

oh btw - i just got a nice bluetooth OBD2 dongle from ebay to read the car's computer - its a really handy tool because you can keep track of all readings in real time - there are plenty of android apps out there and some for iphone/ipad that do the trick. in Cee'd '07 the OBD port is located under the dash - just above the left foot area on the driver's side. i'll add a picture later.

and on a side note - like i said the vehicle has been running error free for a while now - the error code log is clean - my guess is it clears it self after several clean runs. considering, that when it first started, it was throwing EPS error every 50-100 km and when it does, it would repeat itself several times after that - each error a minute or two apart; i think this is further proof for my hypothesis that a little bid of condensed water vapors in humid weather are a likely reason why the sensor fails/missfires. maybe it is as simple as loose sealing rubber pieces on the steering column? who knows ... in any case replacing whole system over a single sensor or bad rubber seal seams like a huge waste of money / resources (or perhaps i am just not seeing the bigger picture here who knows?)

i hope, that i am the last one with this problem and there is no pattern.

safe driving to all!

-Nick

·
Registered
725 Posts
Slightly off topic, but Which OBDII interface you bought ? I'm considering buying one for myself, but not sure which one is 100% compatible. (based on user reviews on the web, they are not all compatible with every car, although they mostly claim they are).

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
Slightly off topic, but Which OBDII interface you bought ? I'm considering buying one for myself, but not sure which one is 100% compatible. (based on user reviews on the web, they are not all compatible with every car, although they mostly claim they are).
well i got this one:
Mini ELM327 OBD 2 Bluetooth
here's a short video i recorderd Kia Cee'd Bluetooth ODB2 in action - YouTube - i pair it with my LG Optimus phone works like a charm. it did drop connection once - i think it gets confused when more than one bluetooth device is around - in my case while i was alone in the car with only my android phone it was working great, then my wife got in with her iphone and it lost the connection 2 min later.

here are some pictures:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice!

I ordered the same thing in the meantime (Excelvan ELM327 v1.5 Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter Torque Android).

Can't wait to get home to test it out...

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
I had a test run with it for 1.5 hrs on the highway worked just fine - even got it to measure 0-100km/h (i got 14 sec) but you cant expect any better from a 1.4 liter engine :)
Again - as long as there are no other active bluetooth devices around it did perform ok. but the moment another bluetooth enabled host (ipad) got near, it disconnected. the point is - make sure your phone or tablet is the only bluetooth host while working with it (especially if clearing the codes log or other deleting/writing procedure). the default pairing code is 1234

oh and by the way i've been running 800 km error free now - i think my steering problem somehow got into remission :) i'll call it official after 1.5k error free but so, far its looking good. and i am 100% certain now it ought to be humidity that got into that sensor. i'm planning on spraying the module with some sort of moist repelling compound - teflon / silicon based maybe? WD40 seams to be a good candidate ... we'll see - i will talk to a professional mechanic first.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Glad your problems are going away :)
I think WD40 might be too aggressive for what you need. I'm sure there are better products around. Nothing I could recommend, unfortunately.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
to those still keeping track i'm stopping by to say that my problem seams to have fixed itself - i already passed 2000 km error free - clean log no power steering failures everything runs as expected. that fact only confirms, that my theory about wet sensor contacts is more than reasonable.

to anyone out there who has experienced a power steering failure:
please, let your car sit for a day or two on a hot and dry spot get rid of the unwanted condensation and consult a mechanic outside of KIA dealerships because these guys go by the book which tells them that they have to replace the whole steering column unit if the sensor throws an error code. Since, it is very likely that you will end up paying the 2500-3000 EUR bill, ask for a second opinion.

a real life example about the lack of competence or the lack of common sense or just laziness:
3 yrs back my fog bulbs burned out, i called the dealer - they told me that they will replace the lights for the price of 120 EUR which was fine by me, the following day on my way to the dealer i stopped at a garage nearby to check my tires pressure and i asked the mechanic to check for me what sort of "special" bulbs my fog lights need - he checks and says - nothing special - regular ones, and he replaced them for 5 min for the price of 10 EUR with the best ones he had in stock - 3 years later these bulbs are still running, outliving the original ones by 30% so far- so, the moral here is: KIA Dealer will charge you 120 EUR for something that costs 10 - at least that was my experience.

i do hope that the new ceed and sportage are designed and built better - but i know i wont be the one to find out :) i am looking at Audi and VW family vehicle options these days ...

cheers and safe driving to all
-Nick

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd '07
9 Posts
Audi VW wont be any better trust me.
Hey Grizzle,
are you commenting from experience?
please, share. i actually do need some "why"s and "why not"s from people that have experience with those brands

this is what i got so far

:trophy:why audi:
a good friend of mine drives a 10 yr old audi A4 1.9 TDI Manual transmission - he got it second hand (5 yrs ago with around 100k km on it), he is using it for business so, he puts 10k km / month in average that sums to about 600,000 km to date and the engine still works just fine and the vehicle is in good shape, his average fuel consumption is ~ 6 litter / 100 km. no major repairs - just break disks, break pads, clutch disk and the regular oil changes.

:trophy:why vw:
my father is a VW fan and he has been driving second hand Passats since the mid 90's - he has changed 4 so far. since he is not a particularly picky person he usually buys vehicles with 150k+ km already on the dial and he is using them for another 200-250k. again all 4 proven to be reliable and never failed or showed any major issues

:puzzled:why not kia:
i've owned a Cee'd for 5.5 yrs. got it brand new, used it very mildly: less than 10k km per year and it failed me in a life endangering way by locking up my steering while driving it.

i guess i'm going off topic here - i should start a new thread on reliable vehicles or something :)

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would have to agree....

The KIA is basicly a low grade budget car with super budget components. I have never ever, having bought and used about 9 cars up to this date, seen a car that fails so often.

The sad thing is that ALL of Kias problems here at the forum is answered with "is that not covered by the warranty?"...what happens after 7 years and your car fails 2 times a day...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ESP warning light

My Kia Rio 2 suddenly became difficult to drive and suspect power steering stopped, so switched off ESP and then back on again and fault disappeared! Noticed by left front fog lamp bulb had blown! Is there a connection?

·
Registered
Pro Cee'd sport 2.0 crdi
1 Posts
I'm now having steering issues on my Pro Cee'd sport.
Have experienced no problems with the steering at all, no warning lights or anything until I got up to go to work one morning and I had EPS light on and ESP, I had all of the various leads checked out and the power lead to the alternator had corroded so it was replaced and the charging circuit was checked and is now working perfectly with no issues but the EPS light and ESP light will not reset, Using a Snapon Soulus Diagnostic and it will still not clear the alarms or allow me to recalibrate the steering. My aunt has exactly the same model car and had similar issues to me about a month ago, her earth lead was replaced and her alarms cleared and hers is fine now but not mine so I'm presuming my steering could be up the swanny.

Has anyone had any issues with the clutch?

I'm getting an intermittent problem from time to time that almost feels like the clutch pedal sticks on the way off the clutch sometimes especially when in traffic losing some of the clutch pressure, if I pump the free air at the top of the pedal without engaging the clutch then all my pressure returns and is then fine again, not sure if something is sticking inside the clutch master cylinder. I've replaced all the fluid in the clutch system and flushed it all through but yet the fault still remains.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts