Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Borrego LX V6 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The interior handle on the front passenger door has been loosening- by which I mean the handle won't completely return to the flush position after pulling on it. Yesterday, my daughter got out and shut the door. I started to drive away, when the car chimed the door was ajar. The door looked shut, but I noticed the handle was still pulled out- and then the door flew open. So the latch didn't engage because the handle was stuck on the open position. When she got back in, it worked fine, but then it happened again later that afternoon. I'm guessing the cable is loose/dislodged?

Anyone else had this issue, and what had to be done to correct it?

Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,499 Posts
Hi all,

The interior handle on the front passenger door has been loosening- by which I mean the handle won't completely return to the flush position after pulling on it. Yesterday, my daughter got out and shut the door. I started to drive away, when the car chimed the door was ajar. The door looked shut, but I noticed the handle was still pulled out- and then the door flew open. So the latch didn't engage because the handle was stuck on the open position. When she got back in, it worked fine, but then it happened again later that afternoon. I'm guessing the cable is loose/dislodged?

Anyone else had this issue, and what had to be done to correct it?

Appreciate the input!
Haven't seen this before but I know that mechanism well. It seems something is stuck in the latch mechanism...internal handle has a small spring that could be dislodged too.

Remove the door trim:

There is a screw right above the internal door pocket, it's cover by a square lid. Remove the lid and then the screw.

Then with a trim tool, pry open the door trim going gently around the doors edge. Once all the push pins are popped up, grab the trim a lift it a bit...it comes off easy.

Look into the trim check if the spring is dislodged or if the wire is clamped/pressed against something else.

Or take to the dealership if still under warranty they will probably apply some spray grease and send you home.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego LX V6 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks josuet- appreciate the suggestion and the instructions. Hopefully it will be something easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts