Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2011
34 Posts
I have a 2011 SX that I bought with 72k miles on it. Here are the repairs I have made:
  • Alternator
  • AC - first the compressor and then the evaporator. The evaporator is in the back of the dashboard and cost a fortune
  • The radio and speakers had to be replaced. I DIY’ed it and that was around $900
  • Rear hubs. They have the ABS sensor and the cost for both, DIY was $400
  • Unrepaired: door sensor for opening the doors from the outside and the push button start. The push button start works when it is cold, but now when it is hot out. The workaround is but the fob on the console, which is a pain. However, the part to fix it is unavailable.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 3.5L V6
855 Posts
@raymond.hadzis Can I ask why you need the info? Looking to buy one?

I have a 2012 Sorento SX with about 125,000km where the most mileage was in the first 6 years. I keep my Sorento in the garage normally, when not in use. Other than normal maintenance items:
  • Crankshaft position sensor. Replaced this myself
  • AC line. One line failed near where aluminum is crimped to rubber part of the hose
  • Front hub washers - done under warranty. There are several posts about this
You can check the pinned post with youtube videos and posts that may give you more info.

I still have original tires and brakes, but I swap to winter tires too.

Very happy with my Sorento.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
302 Posts
I have a 2012 Sorento LX with 48,800 miles on it that I bought brand new.
  • Front sway bar links replaced at 17,xxx miles because of noise.
  • 2.4L engine replaced because it seized up at 42,xxx miles.
  • Rear KIA emblem replace because of corrosion and bubbling at around 38,xxx miles.
  • Two center rim wheel caps replaced because of corrosion at around 38,xxx miles.
  • Backup camera replaced at 48,xxx miles.
The front sway bar links I replaced myself because the KIA dealer is not close to me. The engine replacements was covered by KIA but I was out a car for about 21 days and I had to pay for towering to get it the KIA dealer. The other items, I was over the 5 year warranty limit, so I bought and did the work. Other things I would call normal use like battery, tires, motor oil and filter, transmission oil, air filter, cabin filter, and PCV valve. I do short drives, as you can tell by the mileage. Engine oil and filter get changed every 6 months, which is about 1,700 miles for me.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow alot of items, with just time and mileage causing the failures..
@raymond.hadzis Can I ask why you need the info? Looking to buy one?

I have a 2012 Sorento SX with about 125,000km where the most mileage was in the first 6 years. I keep my Sorento in the garage normally, when not in use. Other than normal maintenance items:
  • Crankshaft position sensor. Replaced this myself
  • AC line. One line failed near where aluminum is crimped to rubber part of the hose
  • Front hub washers - done under warranty. There are several posts about this
You can check the pinned post with youtube videos and posts that may give you more info.

I still have original tires and brakes, but I swap to winter tires too.

Very happy with my Sorento.
Thank You for the reply...
As an Owner of a Hyundai Sonata with 320k miles, and a 4cyl Theta 1 motor I am and was very happy with it.
I performed all my own oil changes from day 1 of ownership and changed it, every 3500 to 5000 miles.
Ive had no big ticket item failures.
Just normal wear and tear items.

I am looking at purchasing a used 2011 with a 4cyl Theta 2 motor, and was doing all my home work...

After reading the differences in the 2 motors, I didn't think the G4KC vs G4KE, was really that different of a motor, higher compression and CVV Timing.

But that motor caused a whole lot of scared and angry owners.

As a 20 retired dealer auto tech, I wanted to just blame everything on lack of proper maintenance....

But as I keep digging deeper, it doesn't sound like it is...

Thank You for your reply.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 3.3L V6
1 Posts
I am wanting to know if a properly maintained sorento is still running good and how many miles do you have...
Also wanting to know your major failures only
2011 Kia Sorrento bought new. 127k miles

1. Shift interlock failed and my child shifted the Kia out of park with the key in my pocket. Later recall issued warranty
2. AC clutch failed required new ac compressor $1k
3. Pass front strut assembly replaced at shop. $300?
4. Swaybar links worn currently replacing at 127k mikes diy $70
5. Drivers door latch failed (broken spring) diy repair later recalled $0
6. Rear hatch gas assist supports failed diy replaced $?
7. Back up cam failed haven’t bothered to replace/repair
8. Airbag light spent some time on, may have been triggered by a drink spill in passenger seat. Reset under recall check for clockspring. Fixed with just a reset. Clockspring is sill good.
9. Rear springs are a bit saggy, next project (I did subject them to a fair amount of abuse :) )
10. gas door fails to open from time to time due to metal “spring” has to be bent /adjusted from time to time $0
11. Underbody Rust has been significantly more than my other vehicles.

so all in all, it has done ok $ wise. Certainly better than my VW New Beetle and SAAB 9-3 That said,

I often shout a big FU to Kia Engineers. Replacing the front brake rotor required 30 min of beating the tar out of it with a sledge hammer to remove and that was AFTER it was loose From the hub.

powertrain is still great, electronics all good etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts