Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good info on replacing the suspension in a 2010 LX model? I want to try and raise the truck a little and bigger tires on it.. Possibly go with an airbag kit so I can control the height.

Looking for recommendation on parts and how to.. Anyone? 馃檪

Registered
2009 Kia Mohave
While looking for parts for my air suspension problems, I have seen a number of after market air suspension kits for sale on eBay and other car part websites. It looks like a long hard road to go to install the systems and there are no guarantees that those systems will work on the Borrego. My Mohave (South American version of the Borrego), has adjustable rear air suspension and it has failed after 10 years of operation. The system is a bit complicated. Regular shocks and spring suspensions are much less complicated, easier to repair, and cheaper to replace. It is much easier to just install adjustable air shocks, larger wheels and tires to get additional lift.

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX 4.6 V8
Anyone have any good info on replacing the suspension in a 2010 LX model? I want to try and raise the truck a little and bigger tires on it.. Possibly go with an airbag kit so I can control the height.

Looking for recommendation on parts and how to.. Anyone? 馃檪
There are a few threads discussing the topic. Some ppl got lucky and were able to make adjustments using some non OE parts, that ultimately fit the vehicle. Unfortunately nobody reported on long term performance results for these kind of installations.
If you have the LX, most likely you have 17' tires. You could go ahead and install 265/60/18 tires directly without any mods. It won't raise the truck though.

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys here's what I've done so far. After replacing all shocks and springs with Toyota Prado 90 parts I installed 31" Wrangler Duratrac tires on the factory 17" wheels. This managed to get me about a 2" lift.

After the summer I parked the truck in my shop and started on a body lift for another 2 inches.

Below are the existing body mounts which were removed since I could not extended them. New longer grade 5 bolts were used and the heads of them will be welded inside the truck.

2" aluminum blocks were machined and placed above the factory bushings.

Minor adjustments to harnesses were made.. Rear brakes were replaced with longer ones. No mods to tank fuel filler or shifter cable. Only real challenge is the steering column where I had to tilt it down and make a new hole in the firewall. Have yet to create a long enough coupler for the top and bottom column.

Registered
2011 Borrego 3.8L V6
Hi guys here's what I've done so far. After replacing all shocks and springs with Toyota Prado 90 parts I installed 31" Wrangler Duratrac tires on the factory 17" wheels. This managed to get me about a 2" lift.
Hi - first post. Have been looking for ways to soften the ride on our 2011 Borrego - winter and spring is pothole and ice ridge season here. Was there much of a ride improvement when you changed over to the Prado 90 shocks and springs? If so where did you source the parts (do you have part numbers you could share)? Thanks

Registered
2011 Borrego 3.8L V6
Hi catalin,
Did you find a significant improvement in ride after replacing the springs and shocks? I am looking for ways to improve the ride of our 2011 Borrego - pothole and ice ridge season is here again. Where did you source the parts (if you have part numbers to share it would be greatly appreciated)? Thanks

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't drive the vehicle that much last summer when the suspension was installed but I did feel that it was an improvement. Certainly for the rear end...

Parts are;

Old Man Emu (OME) 2881 front spring set and 2891 rear
KYB Shocks 341232 front and KYB 344288 rear

I believe I found all items on Amazon last year.

Here's a link to some more info;

Registered
2011 Borrego 3.8L V6
Thanks catalin, I had seen the Prado parts post a few years ago but did not know where to get the parts in Canada. I will try Amazon. The rear is our main concern - that 3rd row can be brutal (reminds me of the back of the school bus on those rough gravel roads - going airborne was fun at the time but I was a lot younger then).

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #9
Amazon has the springs.. as for the shocks I bought them through a local 4x4 shop.

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #10
Rear springs and shocks will install fairly quickly. As for the fronts you will have to notch a small piece of metal off the bump stops.. It's nothing too critical and can be patched back on after the install.

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #11
Here's an update on my Borrego with the Prado suspension and a 2" body lift.

Only other "major" modification required to go with the2" body lift. The lower steering column was extended by 3/4" and the top of the column was titled down 1"

Registered
2011 Borrego 3.8L V6
Rear springs and shocks will install fairly quickly. As for the fronts you will have to notch a small piece of metal off the bump stops.. It's nothing too critical and can be patched back on after the install.
Looks sharp with the extra 2" of lift. I am still toying with the idea of the Prado upgrade and went back and read the original posts from Evgenmsk. He mentions needing to buy rubbers for rear coils - did you need them or is that something only needed if replacing air suspension with Prado springs? Also curious about need to notch the bump stops during install but not afterward - what was the reason? Can you share of photo of the notched bump stop? Thanks

Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Brian, sorry for not replying sooner. I will share a couple of picture of the bumps when I'm back with the truck.

Reason they needed to be cut is that the angle of the new front struts wouldn't allow it to be installed. Without being cut I just couldn't find a way to line it all up and bolt it together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts