Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOT A 2000 KIA SEPHIA. MY HUSBAND WASHED THE ENGINE, NOW IT'S ROUGH AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. CAN'T FIND THE PLUGS. IS THERE PLUGS? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by vetster02@Oct 2 2004, 10:45 PM
GOT A 2000 KIA SEPHIA. MY HUSBAND WASHED THE ENGINE, NOW IT'S ROUGH AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. CAN'T FIND THE PLUGS. IS THERE PLUGS? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi

This is Qamar from United Arab Emirates. I also have Kia Sephia 2. Have washed the engine for so many times. No missing or rough idoling is observed. Meaning your car getting rough is not on account of the spark plugs. They are under the plastic cover hood, if you are really interested in opening them.
May i know the following:
1) How much mileage in Kilometers.
2) Is it with automatic gear transmission.
3) What is the model
4) In which part of the world you are driving the car. Meaning what is the temprature and weather condations

May be i can help you.

Best regards

Qamar

·
Registered
25 Posts
Water could have gottin under the plug cap and shorted the plugs (had this problem once). I'm sure the problem has fixed itself by now.

Plugs are under the plastic cover on top of the motor. Should be 8 screws (I think).

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,858 Posts
Water could have gottin under the plug cap and shorted the plugs (had this problem once). ...
A couple of days ago, my family and I were traveling on the "KiaStein" and after some offroad driving on rainy season, the car was very muddy, especially from under the body.

So we stopped at one car wash in a small roadside town; I decided to let them wash it, while we went to a Shoppin' mall across the Street; twenty minutes after we picked up the car and went away, on the Highway back to home, the car started to Fail; I inmediately recognized the symptoms of a shorting sparkplug wirings and decided to pull over, on the side of the road; by then it was night times...

I Removed all the screws that holds the plastic cover and found that three of the four sparkplugs were inmersed on water! ... :eek: ...

How to remove around three ounces of -almost boiling- water from the Hot sparkplug's tunnels, while in the middle of nowhere with the Family?

Well, here's a little trick: I always carry a dark bath towel, covering the rear speakers from the Sun light; so I grabbed it and with the help of a Screwdriver, I managed to insert the rolled corner of said towel, inside each tunnel, let it "Suck" the hot water and then, Squeeze it out... It almost burn the skin of my hands.

My camera's battery was empty, so I only could shoot a photo with my crappy cellphone after I finished, but it gives the idea of how deep are those tunnels:

Once I finished to remove -almost- all the water, using other -dry- parts of the towel, I did my best to get dry the Sparkplug's wires and also other plugs that were left wet at the Car Wash...

Something interesting is that the engine didn't develop any failing symptoms while it was still cool, when I took the car out from the Car wash; the problem were developed until the engine reached its normal operating temperatures.

Once everything was dried, the car that felt like it was running on only one cylinder; started inmediately and purred like a happy Kitten; we continued the travel normally back to Home.

So, despite that the Sparkplugs seems to be "Protected" hiding under the plastic cover, they're vulnerable to get wet easily, during engine washing...

Kind Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts