Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sedona Base Model (Formerly 2010 Soul 4u)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently found my radiator seal leaking on my 2020 Kia Sedona 19k. Is there a Kia approved coolant stop leak?

It is a minor leak, burns off and smells. Fluid doesn't hit the ground and the reserve tank is still full.

It is under warranty but I'd rather not have the techs replace it. Probably end up with more damage.

Thank You and Happy New Year!!!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,544 Posts
You wont find any manufacturer that recommends a coolant "stop leak", and it should only be used as a short term emergency with a planned repair and complete system flush in the near future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are two manufacturers (GM and Subaru) that have approved coolant "conditioner" or "Seal tabs".

Dealer Mechanics here get paid flat rate. They don't get paid well enough to a great job. Most cars need their bumper removed for a rad change. Plastic carnage, wiring harnesses misrouted, stays and connectors broken or contaminated(corrosion).
I will wait till my last day/km of warranty before I let those butchers at it for a coolant seep.

I have had GM quad 4s, Northstar V8 Cadillacs, Chrysler/Mitsubishi 3L, I gave them all stop leak. Wonderful stuff if you use quality additives.

2021-01-01 21_23_26-Window.jpg
2021-01-01 21_27_42-Window.jpg
20201231_103516.jpg

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,544 Posts
Here are two manufacturers (GM and Subaru) that have approved coolant "conditioner" or "Seal tabs".
I don't see where any of them approved the "Seal tabs" - can you show us that?

Big difference between conditioner and seal tabs.
Dealer Mechanics here get paid flat rate. They don't get paid well enough to a great job. Most cars need their bumper removed for a rad change. Plastic carnage, wiring harnesses misrouted, stays and connectors broken or contaminated(corrosion).
I will wait till my last day/km of warranty before I let those butchers at it for a coolant seep.

I have had GM quad 4s, Northstar V8 Cadillacs, Chrysler/Mitsubishi 3L I gave them all stop leak. Wonderful stuff if you use quality additives.
Not sure what advice we could offer that you'd accept.

Bear in mind, if you try any kind of stop leak and later take it in for warranty repair or replacement, and they find traces of something foreign in the cooling system Kia is likely to refute warranty.

Reactions: cobra259

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,224 Posts
The GM tabs are Ginger Root!
They work well but are short term. Before you add anything take it in to the dealership.

Reactions: cobra259

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,544 Posts
From one of the top brand of leak seal products.

If you drive a new vehicle still under warranty, the best bet is to let the dealership fix your car via hard part replacement at no charge to you. Why wouldn’t you? That’s what a dealer warranty is for.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
85 Posts
Ive used bars leak once. Worked temporary, but never again. That stuff clogs ur lines. Im sure the other stuff would be similar. I wouldn't risk it for a temporary fix. As mentioned above, if its still under warranty, go get it done.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
11 Posts
A good mechanic at a dealership who knows how to read a manual and does the job right won't damage anything. Using stop leak can also stop up your heater core. Part of the price you paid for the car is that warranty, use it!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,576 Posts
"I will wait till my last day/km of warranty before I let those butchers at it for a coolant seep".

Butchers, LOL, tell us how you really feel about techs!
There is some Good advise in all the reply's here. Hope you decide to USE your warranty.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,501 Posts
The big problem I see is that "your seep" can turn into a ruptured duck in a heart beat. If that happens on the highway at speed and you are to slow to catch it, you will cook an engine.
When they find out that you knew, they will say you should have brought it in.
They will know because of this public forum.
Be smart. Use the warranty.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Optima S
3 Posts
Either get it fixed properly under warranty or use sawdust

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,544 Posts

I have had GM quad 4s, Northstar V8 Cadillacs, Chrysler/Mitsubishi 3L, I gave them all stop leak. Wonderful stuff if you use quality additives.
Have you made a decision on this?

Were any of the suggestions helpful?

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L. 2006 Acura MDX. 2002 Infiniti Q45
5 Posts
Happy New Year to you too, but honestly if they break it at the dealer they would also fix it. I would absolutely take advantage of the warranty. Just make sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called Kia parts and they have no coolant conditioner or stop leak. Took the car in for service. They couldn't find a leak at first until I showed them where it is. Pressure test passed. These leak overnight when its below freezing with the rad tank/core/seal contraction. Coolant sits on the core and get hot and smells after every drive. WHen the parts are warm they are sealed tight. Very common.

They took pictures and contacted KIA Head office for direction. 6 days later....

Thanks for your replies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts