Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
i hope this helps you try doing a search as there is lots of info on this subject.

http://www.kia-forums.com/shuma-spectra-1997-2003/59254-engine-valve-timing-interference-confirmed-non.html

http://www.kia-forums.com/new-member-area-introduction/56251-kia-tech-info-free-workshop-manuals.html

A QUICK COMMENT from another moderator that OWNS two Spectras...
The 2004.5~2009 Spectras ARE INTERFERENCE engines and the first link does not apply to this model year.
SORRY jetech..for the hijack of your post... I wanted to get this correct for a new member. Especially if it meant he could damage his new found "love"
We now return you to your show.....
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
OK...
Now that I messed with another "mods" post (SORRY)..
and may have ruined a friendship...

The "New" Spectras as they are called (2004.5~2009) are a very reliable car "if" they are maintained "by the book".
The TB MUST be replaced every 5yrs or 69k miles (100kms)..
Don't chance the comment "everything has been replaced"..
If you are mechanically inclined and have basic metric tools and a few floor jacks (and stands for safety) the belt only costs $25 or less from rockauto.com to your door...I would suggest replacing the AC belt also..
Takes around 3~4 easy hours first time.
They are great cars and engines and can do 300k miles (or more) when treated fairly...
Both cars look good (I like the 2007) BUT if buying from craig's iist I'd have them
1 inspected by an import mechanic of your choice
2 Get a Car-Fax (for the car's past history) although I bought my 06 "salvage"
3 Be sure the title is "clean" (no liens or parking tickets or fines)
4 CHANGE the TB if no documentation is supplied on when it was last done.
5 Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid (should be done every 30k miles)
6 Pat yourself on the back and ENJOY your "new" Spec
7 READ,READ,READ the Spec section of these forums (lots of great tips and repair suggestions) and ASK questions (we ARE here to help and WANT TO!)
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
BTW..
You can get manual trannys on Spectras (LX/EX/SX/and Spec5s)
also on some RIOs.
The SPEC SX and the SPEC5 are the fun ones to drive and have the same engine (2.0L) as many of the Hyundai Elantras and 4cyl Tiburons.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Specs up to 2004 (not 2004.5)are non-interference type. From 2004.5~3009 the Specs use timing belts and are INTERFERENCE type. The 2010 and newer Forte' uses a next generation 2.0L that has a timing chain.
Hondas/Toyotas/Mazdas all have used or still use TBs ...so...KIA is not alone with this design... These cars are "just fine" if you replace them as needed..
I helped a friend replace a TB on a HONDA and I WON'T try that again..Sheer H3LL.
Look up timing chain problems on ford V8 engines...They are not all they are cracked up to be...

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Son.... You're missing my point... (he he)..
They are ALL good cars interference or not.

New Hondas, Toyotas, and Mazdas are STILL interference...they just have timing chains in "most" of their new models like KIA... and timing chains are NOT perfect and have also stretched and broken...

The key word is regular maintainence for ALL cars...ASK other posters here that own 2004.5 on Spectras...Extremely reliable and inexpensive to maintain..

Look up the cost of any 2004~ Japanese 4 cylinder engine than look up the cost of a Specs...About 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost...Same with trannys...

Don't be afraid of a timing belt..it's not worth the worry...

If you are mechanically inclined, have basic metric sockets and wrenches, two floor jacks, and 4 hrs...the "problem" won't bother you for another 60k miles..(instructions and help HERE)
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have the basic tools but I know cars well. I am buying used and I don't want to have to worry about the timing belt breaking and messing up the engine. I talk to a mechanic and he says it is about 700$ to replace a timing belt.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
And with $100 worth of "brand new" tools and floor jacks (which you WILL use in the future) and that $25 belt from rockauto.com you can select from any year...
I'm tryin to motivate you (snicker)... You keep $675 for yourself.. The Mechanic WANTS your money badly and knows it's not that hard to do...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Absolutely nothing like a Subaru.
Basically...
Lift right (passenger side) front and remove tire.
Remove plastic shroud covering engine pulley
put second jack under engine and lightly lift the engine
move some AC and power steering hoses after unbolting clamps
remove the motor mount (thats what the second jack is for)
remove accessory belts
remove water pump pulley (tight fit 4 bolts)
remove timing cover top.
remove crank pulley nut.. Trick to get it off use a breaker bar and bump starter
remove crank pulley
remove lower TB cover
you now have access to TB
align crank pulley to timing marks
check cam pulley to be on its timing marks
I marked crank and cam pulleys and old belt with paint lines and then
transfered the marks to the new belt (dif colors top and bottom)
Remove tensioner pulley and timing belt belt
(count the teeth between marks on old and new belts when transferring marks.)
install new belt and re-assemble.
This is overly simplified but the idea is there...
If you want more explicit info ask...
You will need metric sockets and wrenches 8mm~19mm 3/8", a 22mm socket 1/2" drive, a 1/2" breaker bar, a 1/2" torque wrench, 3/8" ratchet, spark plug socket 3/8" (optional) , 3/8" extensions.
1 timing belt
1 AC belt (optional but it was cracked on my wife's Spec)
1 good frame of mind :)
possibly 4 new NGK Platinum Spark plugs and (optional socket)

Pretty much a simple job...I would not want to tackle a 2.4L on an Optima but the Spec is EASY.
Like I said there is more complete info available if you ask and I/WE are here to help..
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts