Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought a 2019 Kia Niro LX hybrid and am getting about 25 mpg fuel economy and I drive very conservatively. I was told by the salesman and corroborated by Edmonds that I should be getting 51 mpg city and 46 mpg highway. I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and what could possibly be wrong. I am reading the fuel economy from the LCD display in the instrument cluster. Your response would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
47 Posts
Hello. I just bought a 2019 Kia Niro LX hybrid and am getting about 25 mpg fuel economy and I drive very conservatively. I was told by the salesman and corroborated by Edmonds that I should be getting 51 mpg city and 46 mpg highway. I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and what could possibly be wrong. I am reading the fuel economy from the LCD display in the instrument cluster. Your response would be appreciated.
Is that average mpg or you saw that on the direct consumption screen? if it's average mpg you have a problem if it's something you saw as you were driving then it can happen on hills, acceleration etc. Also depending on what part of the country you are, winter will increase gas consumption for heating etc.
if it's like my Plug in the fuel consumption screen shows current engine consumption, the trip one will average it out as the trip continues and the total one is from the last time the readings were reset.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
281 Posts
According to Edmunds, you should be getting 51/46. There's either something wrong with the computer's calculations or something wrong with the hybrid system.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EX Premium
7 Posts
When did you last fill up? The average resets when you full up. Mine has been the opposite really. I've hit a sweet spot with my normal daily drives. Last 4 tanks I have been at or JUST below 55mpg on the cluster. But... :) I'm in Central Florida and haven't needed AC or Heat much since I purchased the car on Black Friday. Expecting summer to give me less when I have to use the AC more.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is that average mpg or you saw that on the direct consumption screen? if it's average mpg you have a problem if it's something you saw as you were driving then it can happen on hills, acceleration etc. Also depending on what part of the country you are, winter will increase gas consumption for heating etc.
if it's like my Plug in the fuel consumption screen shows current engine consumption, the trip one will average it out as the trip continues and the total one is from the last time the readings were reset.
I was reading directly from the fuel consumption of both the Instant fuel econ and the average fuel economy. I was able to squeak out 42 average mpg yesterday by rolling through stop signs and accelerating very slowly from a dead stop. I aggravate other drivers with economy-minded driving because they either pass me or I have a line of cars behind me. I didn't realize how much my driving practices had to drastically change to get better gas mileage. It seems like I am trying way too hard.

My fuel economy is reset to recalculate whenever I turn the car off for four hours or more. Sometimes the instant fuel economy is 4 or 5 mpg when I start from a dead stop. If I crawl to a trifle of acceleration from a stop, the gas mileage is great, but it is intolerably slow.

It is the average fuel economy that is important to me and is what reported as 25 mpg earlier. I live outside Chicago, so it is cold outside. To determine whether the interior comfort heating was part of the problem, I turned off the whole heating/air conditioning system to see if that is the problem. There was no impact on the average or instant fuel economy.

I wonder whether the cold of the electrical system (battery, motor and related system) would impact the average gas mileage.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When did you last fill up? The average resets when you full up. Mine has been the opposite really. I've hit a sweet spot with my normal daily drives. Last 4 tanks I have been at or JUST below 55mpg on the cluster. But... :) I'm in Central Florida and haven't needed AC or Heat much since I purchased the car on Black Friday. Expecting summer to give me less when I have to use the AC more.
I last filled up yesterday because I am going to manually check the average fuel economy (by filling up, zeroing out the trip odometer, then check mileage after subsequent refueling) to see if it is indeed getting poor gas mileage or is it an instrumentation issue. My average fuel economy is set to reset every time that I turn the car off for four hours or more. I tried turning off the interior cooling/heating system to see if the interior comfort heating was part of the cause of the poor mileage. Still no difference. I was able to eke out 42 mpg yesterday around town with drastically conservative driving practices (such as crawling through stop signs, accelerating unbelievably slow). But I never did drive aggressively before I bought this car, but I didn't think that I would have to change my driving with such exaggeration.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Edmunds, you should be getting 51/46. There's either something wrong with the computer's calculations or something wrong with the hybrid system.
Thanks for the response. You are right; it is either instrumentation or mechanical. So I decided to check out the mileage manually (filling up, zeroing out the trip odometer, subsequent refill after some time has passed and note the amount of fuel needed to refill....then calculate by calculator). If it is really truly a mechanical system problem (the hybrid system) or even if it is an instrumentation problem, I hope that I can get warranty to fix it. I brought the car back to the dealership (two days ago)where I bought the car and the service department could find nothing wrong with the car to get such a low average (and instant) fuel economy. And the dealership sales manager told me that they will not take the car back. I am very aggravated about this issue and regretting buying it. I should have noted the low gas mileage while I test drove it, but I was assuming that the 51 mpg city/46 mpg highway was inherently built into the car. I didn't think of doubting it. I check Edmunds also when I first considered buying it and taking the mileage for granted. It makes me wonder if the original owner of the car (I bought a used 2019) also was frustrated with the gas mileage. The original owner owned the car for 7 months and drove it for 9,700 miles.
The honeymoon with this car has ended abruptly because of this mileage problem.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EX Premium
7 Posts
What did you drive before the Niro?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts