Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2006 sportage, along with other vehicles I have been considering. However, I visit the other vehicle forums and they talk about many topics. On this forum, almost 100% of the threads are about problems here.

Is that what I should expect if I buy a sportage? Joining a community of people who have a problem car?

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
I am looking at buying a 2006 sportage, along with other vehicles I have been considering. However, I visit the other vehicle forums and they talk about many topics. On this forum, almost 100% of the threads are about problems here.

Is that what I should expect if I buy a sportage? Joining a community of people who have a problem car?
From what ive seen of most forums, unless its a performance car, or one that people wanna make performance, most of the post regard issues. I think this is more becuase of people hoping someone else knows, what there issue is, and save them a mechanics visit.

When i bought my Sportage, an 06 lx v6. I checked edmunds and the other car review sites, thats how i made my decision to buy it. i couldnt find a bad review.

Ive only owned the car about a month so i cant atest to its reliabilty yet.
I will say this, parts are cheap, the engine (in mine) is the same one the stick in the tiburon, its (ive heard) well built. The transmission is made by mitsubishi, and the main issue that those ever have is needing the TCM reset, because of hard shifts. the AWD unit is made by borg warner, another good thing.
the main problems these have are the strut plates becoming noisey and there is a fix for that.

I will say, if its the 2.0 be prepared to get passed by, well, everything. My v6 virtually identical to my friends prius from 0-60.

the gas mileage is ... well it could be better but i got 24 going to dc averageing 75, over 300 miles. my normal average is about 20-21 as i drive a mix. maintenance on the v6 is fairly spread out just change the oil and fluids and you really dont have to touch it for 80k until it needs a timing chain, and at 100 when it needs wires and plugs.

My favorite things about the car, are the handling, its not gonna out corner a civic or a camaro, but its the best handling suv ive ever driven.
I like the awd function (first awd car) its very quiet at idle.
the factory sound system is pretty good, but the cabin works amazing with an aftermarket set up. The headlights are really bright, though i did come from a car, i really like the back glass opening i hauled 16ft long carpet in it.
it seats 4 rather comfortably as well.

Its also supposedly one of the cheapest cars in the country to insure.

other than that im not sure what else to add except that i love it, and ill probably love it even more once i fix my supercharged montecarlo and have something fast to play with again.

I will say this forum isnt the best though, if you need avice on anything complicated, id advise google. The forum i was on for my Montecarlo was amazing, basically they could tell you anything you wanted to know about the car engine anything.

hope it helps - matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,

thanks that did help. Edmunds reviews are all stellar. We decided to get the 06 Sportage. We were upset to find as we signed for the car that it doesn't even have the OPTION for keyless entry fobs... in 2006... odd.

The only thing on the pre-auction list that needs addressing is a rear sway bar at some point in the near future, so I'll have to look into that. The ride is super smooth, its quiet, the stereo system is nice and crisp, and for being a 2006, it look brand new inside. Maybe it's because the previous owners radio presets were classical, NPR and smooth jazz? Haha.

Anyways, we (wife and I, the car is for her daily driver and our weekend excursions into the forest) bought it. Thanks for the heads up Matt.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
How do you know it dosn't have keyless entry from the factory? Are you in the USA?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
My 06 has one. Ive only been back to the dealer once for a front strut bearing failure,they replace it , aligned it and a loaner car. Good deal. FREE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it doesnt because I had the dealer look it up by vin, and they confirmed it doesnt have a receiver. I then called kia corporate and they stated that all the LX models, even the v6, did not have keyless entry as an option.

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Matt,

thanks that did help. Edmunds reviews are all stellar. We decided to get the 06 Sportage. We were upset to find as we signed for the car that it doesn't even have the OPTION for keyless entry fobs... in 2006... odd.

The only thing on the pre-auction list that needs addressing is a rear sway bar at some point in the near future, so I'll have to look into that. The ride is super smooth, its quiet, the stereo system is nice and crisp, and for being a 2006, it look brand new inside. Maybe it's because the previous owners radio presets were classical, NPR and smooth jazz? Haha.

Anyways, we (wife and I, the car is for her daily driver and our weekend excursions into the forest) bought it. Thanks for the heads up Matt.
No problem, I recently realized its time to get my oil changed. Alarmingly that means ive put 5000 miles on it since april 3rd. Only thing i need to replace is the serpentine tensioner pulley, It and the serpentine belt were both OEM:eek: no scheduled mantainence done i guess. i would recomend changing all your fluids (trans, powersteering, differential) and depending on mileage a timing belt, be put on your list, that should see you quite a few miles more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No problem, I recently realized its time to get my oil changed. Alarmingly that means ive put 5000 miles on it since april 3rd. Only thing i need to replace is the serpentine tensioner pulley, It and the serpentine belt were both OEM:eek: no scheduled mantainence done i guess. i would recomend changing all your fluids (trans, powersteering, differential) and depending on mileage a timing belt, be put on your list, that should see you quite a few miles more.
Ignore the Frowny face smiley, oops

1 - 8 of 8 Posts