Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L. 2006 Acura MDX. 2002 Infiniti Q45
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I meant to post my odometer last week which is cool but now I have tragedy pics to post. Dude ran light spun me out. Jumped curb between pole and underground cable landing in retention pond and car was submerged.
Sky Cloud Plant Car Plant community
Car Land vehicle Wheel Plant Cloud
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car seat cover
Vehicle Plant Personal luxury car Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
914 Posts
That really bites, I hope he has good insurance! No injuries on your side I hope?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That really bites, I hope he has good insurance! No injuries on your side I hope?
We both have Geico but live in Florida. No fault state so we'll see what the insurance will pay. I only owed $12k on it. Had it 1.5yrs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put it in park, turned off the engine. Hit button for rear hatch and climbed through. 27yo dude admitted he was distracted. I really wish he would have swerved 12" and we would still be rolling. 😔

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW side doors opened themselves when it started taking on water to equilize and allow escape. That was cool.
Sky Cloud Plant Car Plant community
Plant Car Plant community Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
203 Posts
Wow! Glad you're safe.

Just curious: What was the other guy driving? What was his vehicular damage? Does "distracted" = texting?
Also:
Do you feel the KIA did its job? What did the crash feel like? Anything else that others might glean from your experience?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow! Glad you're safe.

Just curious: What was the other guy driving? What was his vehicular damage? Does "distracted" = texting?
Also:
Do you feel the KIA did its job? What did the crash feel like? Anything else that others might glean from your experience?
He was in a 2019 Jeep Wrangler, his front bumper will need to be replaced. That was the extent of his damage just eyeballing. If I had not gone into the water the kia would have been fixable. Airbags didn't go off but car was hit in rear and I was alone so sensors didn't deploy airbags. I hit the curb kinda hard but still didn't hit bumper so no front airbags. When the water starting coming in side doors did open automatically to release pressure so if trapped you could swim out. So all in all yes I feel it did a great job. Nice comfortable supportive seats. Also he used the rear seatbelts to pull the car out and up until he could hook it under.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I don't know if he was texting I saw him right before impact then everything blurred until water splash. I thought I was going in a ditch. The water was a real surprise.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
203 Posts
Wow on the seatbelts (or, more likely, their anchors)! Man does that stink. Van looks (looked) brand new.

On a related matter, I feel like a Russian: I have front- and rear-mounted cameras (I vouch for the b2w Blueskysea, capacitor version).

Get well!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
You said "I put it in park, turned off the engine...." If it was still running when you shut it down I'd bet drying it out and pulling the plugs and cranking the engine over to remove any water to prevent hydro locking the engine that it would once again run... You might have some problems with the onboard computers but non-saltwater accidents usually can be repaired.. (but the insurance company/dealers) probably will total it...)
Dave

Reactions: bdh075

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
914 Posts
I've known a number of cars that have been submerged, two by family members. All of them have been totaled by the insurance company. I suspect it's not common for them to attempt a repair if it's really been in the water.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You said "I put it in park, turned off the engine...." If it was still running when you shut it down I'd bet drying it out and pulling the plugs and cranking the engine over to remove any water to prevent hydro locking the engine that it would once again run... You might have some problems with the onboard computers but non-saltwater accidents usually can be repaired.. (but the insurance company/dealers) probably will total it...)
Dave
we went to see it today to grab personal belongings, it stunk so bad. it was already growing mold and a family of ants had moved in. No clue if they were eating or got stuck in there when it was pulled out the muck. Everything in there was slimy and gross. we just ended up leaving it behind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts