Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro S Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Niro gas/electric model. It will be garaged for about 3 months while we travel. Do I need to do anything to maintain the battery?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
475 Posts
Install a 'battery tender'. Not only slow charges it massages the batteries electrical innards.
Pump your tires up to 40 psi. Park on carpet samples, all 4 corners.
Have an oil change. Old oil is full of nasty things that cause issues while sitting.
Stuff Bounce dryer sheets in the back, inside under dash both sides, under hood all over....Keeps verman from chewing on wires. Add fuel stabilizer and top off tank with premium grade fuel.
Good idea to wash outside and vacuum inside. It's always nice to come back to a clean car......have a safe trip!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro S Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Install a 'battery tender'. Not only slow charges it massages the batteries electrical innards.
Pump your tires up to 40 psi. Park on carpet samples, all 4 corners.
Have an oil change. Old oil is full of nasty things that cause issues while sitting.
Stuff Bounce dryer sheets in the back, inside under dash both sides, under hood all over....Keeps verman from chewing on wires. Add fuel stabilizer and top off tank with premium grade fuel.
Good idea to wash outside and vacuum inside. It's always nice to come back to a clean car......have a safe trip!
Thanks. I know a battery tender or trickle charger is what to use for a standard car battery, but is that what to use for the hybrid lithium/ion battery?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
475 Posts
Store your lithium ion battery at full charge. You should not loose more than 20 percent in the 3 month storage. Then your good to go!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,336 Posts
Store your lithium ion battery at full charge. You should not loose more than 20 percent in the 3 month storage. Then your good to go!
I would double check that.

My high powered Lithium batteries that I use for my RC helicopters are stored at 40 - 60% charge.

During storage periods, keep your lithium battery at a 40% charge state

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would double check that.

My high powered Lithium batteries that I use for my RC helicopters are stored at 40 - 60% charge.

During storage periods, keep your lithium battery at a 40% charge state
This should be in the owner's manual.
My back pack leaf blower has a massive Lith Ion battery. You are suppose to store it at 100% charge.
Small, high energy density, Lith Ion batteries for RC planes, etc. Store at lower percentage. I have a friend who burned his house down by keeping his RC plane batteries fully charged. Lucky he and his wife got out of the house!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,336 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts