Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX GDI (AWD)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a "Smart Key" (2013 Sorento EX GDI), all doors are locked if the lock button is pressed.

However, it just makes a small "chime sound", e.g., "beep", with the hazard warning lights blink. :(

Due to a "chime sound", it's sometimes very difficult to locate my Sorento in a big parking area especially at night.

Is there any way to make the "horn" sound rather than a hardly-hear "chime sound"?

I searched a similar topic in this forum but I couldn't find it.

Any info would be highly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
If you're trying to find it in a parkinglot, your best bet would be to just use the panic button on your fob to activate the horn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@RentoEX,

Thanks for your advice but panic sound is too loud. People might be panic. :)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Haha! Well if that's the case, I don't think you can replace the beep with a chirp unfortunately

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
Wait... didn't you say in your first post "Is there any way to make the "horn" sound rather than a hardly-hear "chime sound"?" and then when presented with a way say that it's "too loud"......... maybe you should think more about drinking green tea for your memory of parking spaces and less about how to not accept a simple solution...... Sorry mate!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that you have never pressed your panic button and/or driven other brands vehicles.

Most other brands use horn to indicate all doors are locked, but the alarm sound is "very" short to not bother other people around the vehicle.

Try to press your panic button to locate your vehicle in a parking lot.

Just try it then you will find that people call you "Jerk". Unfortunately, you never understand why they do since you can't distingush between a long "panic" sound and a very "short" alarm sound.

It's sad that people don't understand a basic word "panic". :)

I can imagine how frequently you have been called by others in that way but only you didn't realize it. Sad...

·
Registered
2011 XM Sorento EX AWD V6
267 Posts
We didn't say press the panic button and let it keep going until you got to your car. Press it, let it beep and shut it off. You should be good to go. Christ man.... use your common sense.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with the OP - the panic feature can be loud and startling.

Looking at the KiaTech website, the "buzzer" for the Smart Key System is located in the engine compartment. It's item 1 in this image (image supplied by Kia Tech Info website):

Are you comfortable working with electrical systems? This buzzer should be operated by a 12V signal. I see two options: a) Disconnect the buzzer and wire the connector to one of the existing horns (either the low or high pitch - the Sorento has one of each located near the front bumper). If that's too loud, then get an aftermarket horn in the right decibel range that you're looking for and wire that up to the buzzer connector.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
With a "Smart Key" (2013 Sorento EX GDI), all doors are locked if the lock button is pressed.

However, it just makes a small "chime sound", e.g., "beep", with the hazard warning lights blink. :(

Due to a "chime sound", it's sometimes very difficult to locate my Sorento in a big parking area especially at night.

Is there any way to make the "horn" sound rather than a hardly-hear "chime sound"?

I searched a similar topic in this forum but I couldn't find it.

Any info would be highly appreciated. :)
I'm not crazy about it either. It's too quiet for some situations and too loud for others. It's also a bit high frequency that I would think the sound is really attenuated for seniors.

Other vehicle makers have several options on their horn/alarm/remote functions. I think it's a good question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts