Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years in the past, one could turn off the engine and put the car in "accessory" mode with no problem unless you did it for hours.

Now, when I want to listen to Sirius even for a few minutes, a message pops up saying "caution, battery being drained".....or some such thing as that.

Why would this drain the battery for even a short time when cars, it seems like forever, never had a problem?

I ask because I am going to do my navigation upgrade which says I need to have the car running (engine on) for a full 60 minutes. That's quite an expensive proprosition in gas, not to mention having to be out there with the car.

My husband insists that I could do the upgrade for 60 mins without a problem. What's your experience in this?

Many thanks
Cissy:confused:

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
It's just a warning/annoyance. There's more than enough reserve power to upgrade the nav.

I left my Sportage in the garage for a month while on vacation. I forgot to turn off a device that constantly feeds power to my dash camera. When I returned and started the engine, there was an audible warning message telling me that the battery was low. After driving around for a while the warning went away.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just a warning/annoyance. There's more than enough reserve power to upgrade the nav.

I left my Sportage in the garage for a month while on vacation. I forgot to turn off a device that constantly feeds power to my dash camera. When I returned and started the engine, there was an audible warning message telling me that the battery was low. After driving around for a while the warning went away.
Thanks, Bluntman. Did you by chance upgrade your Navigation using ACC mode?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
I upgraded my nav with engine off using ACC mode.

The battery draining message is accurate, because the battery is indeed draining. Really though you should have several hours before it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I upgraded my nav with engine off using ACC mode.

The battery draining message is accurate, because the battery is indeed draining. Really though you should have several hours before it becomes a problem.
Thank you !!

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Cissy, you don't need to have the engine running during the update. Connect a battery charger and do the update with the car in accessory mode.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cissy, you don't need to have the engine running during the update. Connect a battery charger and do the update with the car in accessory mode.
That's the plan, edannan. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts

How were you able to do this? I put my phone on the car charger and once the ignition is turned off within 10 seconds my charger stops working. I would love to be able to leave my phone in my car when it is low so I can fully charge it within an hour or two like I used to be able to do in the 2000 Taurus I had before the Sportage.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
The USB/cigarette lighter circuits, like on most vehicles, is a switched power sources, meaning that they'll turn off shortly after the ignition is turned off.

The constant power supply for my dash cam was drawing current from a constant power source via a fuse in the driver's side fuse box. I guess that since the little black box is always drawing a little bit of current, the circuit supplied the power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts