Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
What is the inside diameter (size) for the air filter?
My hesitation to this mod is that here in California you can't have anything but a stock filter when you get "smog checked". It's stupid. They won't even test the car to see if it passes if it's got an aftermarket filter..

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is the inside diameter (size) for the air filter?
My hesitation to this mod is that here in California you can't have anything but a stock filter when you get "smog checked". It's stupid. They won't even test the car to see if it passes if it's got an aftermarket filter..
Like I said, it’s so easy to flip, why not?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Reactions: Locke56

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
79 Posts
After going out briskly and doing this also, chalk this up into the universal section of the original post. $31.99 and all the beautiful turbo sounds. Can't wait for my BOV to arrive, the stock diverter valve sounds nice already.
I like the idea of getting some sounds from the turbo, but I isn’t it sorta self-defeating to eliminate the cold air intake?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like the idea of getting some sounds from the turbo, but I isn’t it sorta self-defeating to eliminate the cold air intake?
TBH it's all coming through the same way as the stock intake. Which is a ram air intake from the upper grill through the radiator support and snorkeled to the stock airbox. It's not a CAI. It would be worth building an enclosure to keep some warm air out and around the conical air filter. Not a sealed enclosure, but something to keep the air coming in cooler like you see with most ram air setups from K&N or other manufacturers.

I'm actually trying to pay attention to try and see if there is any additional turbo lag by exposing the diverter valve's recirculation of boost since this isn't enclosed it's more like a long BOV. In short, a diverter valve (what we have stock) keeps the boost and recycles it back into the intake to be reused rather than a BOV which lets the boost escape into the atmosphere. The diverter valve is supposed to reduce turbo lag by doing this. When adding this conical air filter we in turn now hear the release of the boost like a BOV. This is also why @Will1988, the shark racing BOV eliminates that vacuum hose to the intake manifold. (Sidebar Will and I were having).

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
TBH it's all coming through the same way as the stock intake. Which is a ram air intake from the upper grill through the radiator support and snorkeled to the stock airbox. It's not a CAI. It would be worth building an enclosure to keep some warm air out and around the conical air filter. Not a sealed enclosure, but something to keep the air coming in cooler like you see with most ram air setups from K&N or other manufacturers.

I'm actually trying to pay attention to try and see if there is any additional turbo lag by exposing the diverter valve's recirculation of boost since this isn't enclosed it's more like a long BOV. In short, a diverter valve (what we have stock) keeps the boost and recycles it back into the intake to be reused rather than a BOV which lets the boost escape into the atmosphere. The diverter valve is supposed to reduce turbo lag by doing this. When adding this conical air filter we in turn now hear the release of the boost like a BOV. This is also why @Will1988, the shark racing BOV eliminates that vacuum hose to the intake manifold. (Sidebar Will and I were having).
Just did an Akron to Columbus roundtrip (270 miles and 70mph speed limit) and I didn't notice any additional turbo lag. Not really a formal "test" and nor do I know how to properly test this. The car still felt as it did before, just with a more enjoyable sound.

Typing this up I realized this wasn't a good way to test. The only way you're "losing" boost from the diverter valve is when releasing the accelerator under load. So the only notice, I guess, where there would be turbo lag would be from a dead stop or an idle position. Not cruising down a highway... 🙃

·
Registered
471 Posts
or lettings off the gas to shift and with an auto you don't have to do that, hard cornering as well where you are off the gas, hard on the brakes, and hard on the throttle again.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
or lettings off the gas to shift and with an auto you don't have to do that, hard cornering as well where you are off the gas, hard on the brakes, and hard on the throttle again.
Right; there are a bunch of possibilities, but eh... I don't foresee autoX in my future anymore 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
Do let us know if there's more lag from a stop. That's the one place I'd rather have more power , not more lag.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do let us know if there's more lag from a stop. That's the one place I'd rather have more power , not more lag.
I can confirm that a typical red light situation does not produce more lag. Same amount as the stock air box.

You’re going to lose any boost that was circulated from the diverter valve by the time the light turns green anyway. The diverter valve doesn’t “save” the pressure, just recirculates it if it can be reused immediately. Can’t have a fully sealed box do this or air wouldn’t be flowing in in the first place 😅

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
At the request of the OP all off-topic posts deleted.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
95 Posts
The 2022 Sorento and the rear captains chairs are now heated for the SX Prestige, 14 way power adjustable seats for both front seats AND thigh extenders for the drivers seat. I wonder how much it would cost to replace the drivers seat lol I really wanted thigh extenders for this car. I just thought I'd share if this would be a possible modification in the future.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Should we merge these two threads? - seems like one and the same topic.

If we're going to have multiple same topic thread's then this one should no longer be a sticky.
My point of this thread was to have the first post as a shopping list/resource of all the mods people find/do for ease of use. I suggest in that first post that people should discuss mods in @noshortcuts thread. (Even linked it)

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
My point of this thread was to have the first post as a shopping list/resource of all the mods people find/do for ease of use. I suggest in that first post that people should discuss mods in @noshortcuts thread. (Even linked it)
For a better understanding, the thread title has "& Modifications" in it, but its not about modifications?

Would post #17, #21 and #33 be off-topic?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For a better understanding, the thread title has "& Modifications" in it, but its not about modifications?

Would post #17, #21 and #33 be off-topic?
I wouldn’t mind deleting all threads (except for #1) from this and allowing all convo on mods/aftermarket fall into the forums (in @noshortcuts thread). This being the resource for where to find/buy them, in one place, and discussions should take place (in @noshortcuts thread) in the forum.

I’ll keep it up to date.

Reactions: Giancarlo90

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
I wouldn’t mind deleting all threads (except for #1) from this and allowing all convo on mods/aftermarket fall into the forums (in @noshortcuts thread). This being the resource for where to find/buy them, in one place, and discussions should take place (in @noshortcuts thread) in the forum.

I’ll keep it up to date.
I see no reason why a single thread cannot address MOD's, all aspects of the MOD from source, price, and installation etc.

If we don't have agreement on how it should be grouped, then we leave them all up, don't merge, and don't have any of them as a sticky.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I see no reason why a single thread cannot address MOD's, all aspects of the MOD from source, price, and installation etc.

If we don't have agreement on how it should be grouped, then we leave them all up, don't merge, and don't have any of them as a sticky.
I agree with you, but also realize that users won't take the time to read through 8 pages of a discussion to find the price or where to buy. This is also why I'm linking to the discussion on the parts on the first post of this thread. That way they can read what was discussed. Eh; just trying to help. Seems like we misunderstood each other.

I meant deleting the conversation out of this stickied post and leaving the first post of it that has the information and where to find the parts. The reason being is to prevent more threads from popping up on the same topic or an old topic buried in the other thread by having a stickied resource at the top of the page for people to find their parts easily and instead of posting a question about it 🤣.

Reactions: JstGo
21 - 40 of 59 Posts