Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new guy here. I don't own a Sorento yet, but probably will. It most likely won't be until next year, but I start my research early because it's fun.

I've test driven the '19 Sorento S with V6 and AWD twice now. I'm really liking it. That V6 is silky smooth and the transmission worked pretty well, in my opinion. If you give it some gas as if to pass on the highway, it takes a half a second to find the right lower gear and off you go. The ride is little 'floaty' but that's OK. I'm 68 now and don't need to feel every pebble in the road. Been there and done that.

I'm not used to having 'Modes' so that seems interesting. I'm coming from an Equinox V6 and a GTI. I will get rid of both of those when I get the next vehicle.

I didn't think to take a look under the car, but from reading it sounds like there is a plastic tray under the car that has to be removed to change the oil. Is that correct? I had to do that once on my mother-in-laws Volvo and didn't enjoy it. Working on it by yourself with the car on ramps made it difficult. How large is that tray? Of course I could have someone else change the oil but I usually enjoy doing it myself and generally change it a little more often than necessary. Can you say OCD?

I have already test driven the current generation of Equinox with the 2.0T engine. I liked it at first and then didn't care for it the last time a drove one. I like the Tiguan but it's slow and the engine sounds like a tractor. CX5 (everyone's darling) is a little too small as is the new Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. I like the new RAV4 but the gas version is slow and noisy. The Hybrid is a possibility. But so far I'm liking the Sorento the most. I wish the gas mileage was a little better, but you can't have everything I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and get tuned in to the Sorento community.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
28 Posts
There is a plastic tray under the engine that spans the width of the car and goes from the front fascia to about the firewall. I used my cordless drill to pull the screws. It's very lightweight, so it's not cumbersome to remove and reinstall. Now that I know where the oil filter is, I may try changing it next time without dropping the entire tray. The oil filter on the V6 is just behind the axle on the passenger side right next to the tire well.
In ECO mode on long drives I average 28 MPG with the V6.
I like my Sorento, but it was my second choice. I was initially looking at the Volvo XC40, but couldn't drop that much money for a smaller SUV. I haven't used the third row seats yet, but it's nice to have the option if I need to carry more passengers.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
285 Posts
I looked closely at the Mazda CX9 and Chevy Traverse, was not a close call at all going for the v6 sorento. The Traverse internet forum will scare you with all the grief. Mazda was OK except for power and looks.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
315 Posts
Has anyone tried building a trap door into the under shield that would allow quick access to the drain plug? Up through 2018 the filter was still up on top of the engine so only need access to actually drain the oil.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
718 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what I did.

I'll try to post some pics whenever I have the time.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts