Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX 2.0T
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out doing errands with my headlight package on Auto. Parked the car at home, locked it, everything ok. Got a call from a neighbour 31/2 hrs later telling me that my lights are on. Went down to the underground parking lot and sure enough, the headlights and tail lights were on. Light switch was still in the Auto position. Started the car with no issues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,017 Posts
Have never tried leaving a door open indefinitely to see if the lights ever turn off. If not, a door sensor is a possibility. Other than that, if the OP is 100% certain the stalk was set to "Auto", I'd be worried about a flaky IPS Control Module.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX 2.0T
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely, the very first thing I checked was that the stalk was set to "auto". Thinking back, there was an occasion quite some time ago when the headlights just went out while driving at night. I immediately changed the stalk to the on position.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,017 Posts
Hmm, that's probably a very important second data point. I'd take both of those symptoms to the dealer if you're still under the 5/60 and point out the common element is the IPS control module. As we suspect a common source for both symptoms, it won't have anything to do with the ambient light sensing, since having them come on by themselves with the engine off can't be related to that. So they can steer clear of that as a starting point.

Having your lights disappear in the dark when set to auto should certainly get their attention.

FWIW, there are no TSBs related to this system for 2017.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts