Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to hear your thoughts on this. Currently, I'm using silverstar ultras for the headlights. I know, HID's are better but meh :whistling:. I wanted to get different fog light bulbs so I wanted to know if I should just stick with the white light scheme or go yellow instead.
I've run yellow colored fogs in a few different cars before but I'm just not sure how it would look on the Sorento. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
yellow cuts through fog better than a white light I've tried it in my old Sorento and it's just not worth it and the look between 5 or 6 K HID's and 3K fogs aren't the best looking on the Sorento.

I'm just going to leave my fog's alone with the stock bulbs until they burn out and then switch to LED's. I just finished installing HID's in my new Sorento this week and it's worth the time and money for sure...I did a comparison with Silverstars and stock bulbs and there is little to no difference....JMHO

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my lows went out and I had heard that the ultras were good so I just went with them instead of doing an HID install. It's true that HID's are great and I've had them on almost every car I've owned. I just didn't want to bother with them just yet. If I keep the car, I'll install them. If I just give it to my mother in a year then I'll leave it alone.
As much as I like this truck, I miss the STi too much. I also don't like auto's. Finally, the size makes finding parking in Manhattan a problem usually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my $0.02

For low beams, you may consider a set of Osram Rallye H7's. They are overwattage (65 vs 55) however, they have an h9 bulb on an h7 base, and therefore have a huge improvement in light output (lumens) without any of the potential issues from HID setups. I haven't taken a look at the schematic of the low beam circuit, but with the extra 20w, you're only talking about an extra two amps or so for both. (I'll consider using a relay anyway to get the true 14.4v to the bulbs, but only if there isn't a stupid canbus resistance check)

Standard H7: 55w, 1400 lumens, 400 hours
H7 rallye+65: 65w, 2100 lumens, 400 hours

Granted, you're not going to have a negligible color difference, but I just want to see more road, so it's not a big deal for me. I love HIDs, but I refuse to retrofit because:

1. The housings aren't designed for that much light (Yeah you could argue the same for 2100 lumens, but its far closer to stock than 3xxx lumens)

2. I don't want to deal with HID interference. Some cars respond particularly bad (Youtube Lexus IS possessed steering wheel HID problem)

3. I don't want to deal with the Sorento's cluster problem (Even if I do it "right" and use a harness/relay kit)

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Just my $0.02

Granted, you're not going to have a negligible color difference, but I just want to see more road, so it's not a big deal for me. I love HIDs, but I refuse to retrofit because:

1. The housings aren't designed for that much light (Yeah you could argue the same for 2100 lumens, but its far closer to stock than 3xxx lumens)

2. I don't want to deal with HID interference. Some cars respond particularly bad (Youtube Lexus IS possessed steering wheel HID problem)

3. I don't want to deal with the Sorento's cluster problem (Even if I do it "right" and use a harness/relay kit)
1. there are projectors that are small enough that can be fitted in the headlights, the stock projectors are 3 inch lens, we just have to deal with the height of the projectors that we choose..

2.there is no hid interference that i have experienced so far.. and i have sattelite radio/nav. as long as they are grounded properly..( ground to the body not the battery)

3. there is no can-bus problem with the sorento... thats whats nice about it..

the halogen projectors that we have can handle hid's well from 35 watt to 75w ballast.. and as long as they are aimed properly.. no problem with glare at all. i tried.. now im using oems denso ballast and osram d2s cbi bulbs @ 5000k
it will also be better if retrofitted with real hid projectors, in my quad set-up, it is really useful in winter storm or foggy situations.. it helps a lot!! then go back to dual when clear..

for op, it is still best to use 4100k-4300k bulbs there is no proof that 3000k is better than the mentioned kelvin rating above.. im my sx, low beams are plenty enough..

the h11 silverstar ultra are actually good, not sure with life span but because of their price, i just bought an hid kit for 10$ more

fogs are 27w for lx/ex 35w for sx

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kobi411,
Thanks for the fog wattage. I think I'll go with HID's when these bulbs burn out. I would assume that they will last at least a year.
By the way, your photo (bottom of your post) looks great. Hate to copy you but I think I'm going to do the same thing in the future. That said, how did you go about doing it?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I see what's involved. Hmm, this would take a little bit of time assuming the adhesive is able to soften enough to pull them apart. I've done something similar on my old 98.5 Maxima when I had it for the headlights and tails.
May have to buy a set to mess with it to kill some time. Quick question though, is there enough power to support all the additional lighting? Consumption shouldn't be high but I'm curious.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
the battery is plenty enough... i have a relay harness.. just dont wire the (-) to the battery; but to the body instead, because we have a battery monitor..
just to be safe, remember to use a relay harness..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts