Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Pro_cee'd 1.6 CRDi -11
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the lo beam lightbulbs exploded, "POFF!", and then the headlight was full of little glass pieces. I had to remove the headlight and hold it up and shake the bits out, but still some finer bits and dust in there. :mad:

The only way to properly clean it out is to split the headlight apart.
Anyone here done that?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Try an air compressor to blow out the remains...
There are posts on the internet about "cooking" the headlight
assemblies to melt the glue and open them.. Google "cooking headlights"
Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is along the lower edge of the headlight, it's a narrow gap between the glass and the backing where the stuff gets trapped. I had to use a long tool with a tiny metal wire attached and try to fish them out, the only access is through the H1 and H7 bulb sockets .... :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

I got it reasonably clean and now it's mounted again with a new bulb. Perhaps I'll take it apart later.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Cannot see that a few bits of glass inside the headlight are anything to worry about. Have you tried a vacuem cleaner to suck out the bits?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cannot see that a few bits of glass inside the headlight are anything to worry about. Have you tried a vacuem cleaner to suck out the bits?
No big problem but I am a bit pedantic about the car (a nerd, geek, whatever ....). I tried with the vacuum cleaner, taped a piece of plastic tubing to the hose and put it in through the bulb sockets, didn't manage to suck out everything...

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
my only concern with the glass would be actually going in to change the bulbs later, forgetting the shards are possibly there, and cutting myself...

Its weird that it explorded, but I suppose the bulbs were well out of warranty, so the next questions are: how much did you pay for the bulbs, where did you buy them, and did you replace both at the same time?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The bulbs were Osram "Night Breaker" H7, changed both about 6 months ago. I think I will stick to the "long life" bulb type from now on. I have bad experience with these extra bright bulbs, they are expensive and don't last very long, although they didn't explode, until now.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Me experience of extra bright or super white bulbs is they don't last long. I suspect they run hotter and simply burn out quicker.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts