Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently replaced front and rear wheel hubs on the KIA Sorento. I've done a transmission drain and fill, transfer case and rear differential drain and fill, stabilizer links and bushings for front and rear.

Yet, I'm hearing light rattling tapping sounds sometimes when I'm driving low speed. When I accelerate on automatic transmission I hear nothing. Everything sounds fine then.

I notice that my other tie rods have some play in it, but I hear no clunks when steering. So I'm thinking it could be tie rods on the way out, but not quite sure. I need to save a bit of money now to replace tie rods and get an alignment.

Could it be something else?

Past 2 days it's been raining and I can't set up a dashcam under the car to check it out what's making that noise.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
This kind of sounds like what was happening to me. From the Useful videos... post, read through these:

If you did all that work, including the wheel hubs, you may be able to handle this yourself. The second thread has a walk through of replacing the part.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
741 Posts
No, that doesn't sound anything like mine. Sorry.

The sound is almost like it's tied to the rotation of the wheels. Maybe check a dust shield around the rotor. Maybe there's something stuck on or near one of the wheels like a rock...not sure...it's almost too fast for something tied to the wheels, though. Maybe it's tied to the engine rotation.

Need to pinpoint where the noise is coming from:
  • Does it vary with speed?
  • Does it vary with RPMs?
  • Does it happen when the car is stopped and idling in gear or in park?
  • Does it happen in every gear - if you travelling and put it in neutral does it continue?
  • Does it happen over bumps or does the noise change over bumps?
  • Can it be heard outside of the cabin or only inside?
  • Can it still be heard with the hood open? Is it louder with the hood open?
If you can get someone else to help pinpoint the sound, that would help. If it's coming from the engine compartment, you can narrow down which component is making the sound.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it's weird. It could be the brake pads I think. Because when I replaced the front sway bar links and bushings a couple days ago, I decided to put some anti-seize on the brake pads for some reason. Since there are no shims on the pads, I think that is creating some extra clearance now with a slippery brake pad to create those clicking sounds.

Still not 100% sure yet. I'm still doing some inspections when I have time.

But to answer your questions:

• Does it vary with speed?
It happens only when going less than 60 km/h (37 miles/h)
  • Does it vary with RPMs?
Low RPM low speed it starts clicking, low RPM high speed there is no clicking.

And with high RPM, I don't hear the sounds.
  • Does it happen when the car is stopped and idling in gear or in park?
No sounds when stopped, idling, or in park.
  • Does it happen in every gear - if you travelling and put it in neutral does it continue?
When the sounds come on, I immediately switch gears to neutral and the rattling continues. Maybe wheel related?
  • Does it happen over bumps or does the noise change over bumps?
Sometimes it causes a chain reaction after going over a bump (I recently replaced sway bar links and bushings for front and rear though). This happens sometimes.
  • Can it be heard outside of the cabin or only inside?
I will have to check on this again with another person.
  • Can it still be heard with the hood open? Is it louder with the hood open?
It doesn't make the sounds when parked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts