Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again forum,

So I've noticed my 2003 Sorento also seems to have a clunk / thud when taking off after moderate braking.

It is only relatively slight, sometimes it is barely noticeable, other times it is slightly concerning.

I've read that this is a common issue with this vehicle and it is related to the rear prop shaft, most recommendations are to grease up the U-Joints on the prop shaft regularly to remedy the situation.

So I've done just that, greased the s**t out of both U-Joints on the rear prop shaft, filled them up good til fresh grease came out of the joint itself. From what I could find there were only 2 zirk fittings on the rear shaft, one on the inside of the front u-joint, and another on the edge of the rear one. I couldn't see any way to directly grease the spline of the shaft though.

Greasing the u joints doesn't seem to have helped much, if at all. I suspect it is either the spline itself that needs a good greasing, or it is something else all together, possibly the transfer case? I have read that the transfer case in these vehicles can start to clunk a bit if the fluid hasn't been changed in a while.

Any advice on resolving this one fam?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It probably is the spline. Kia issued a bulletin about it. Their fix was to pull it apart and rub the splines down lightly with valve grinding paste (or similar) before cleaning (again) to remove abrasive and greasing before re-assembly. Of course, time has moved on and it's been down in the muck for a lot longer now. If it is seriously stuck there may be trouble getting it apart.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
On a 2WD Sorrie there are three u-joints with a zerk fitting and a zerk fitting on the slide joint. Look very carefully on the slip joint because there is a black boot covering the zerk fitting. You have to turn the shaft sometimes to get the fittings to line up so the grease fitting will accept the hose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is the 4wd with the selector on the dash with 2hi, 4hi and 4lo select-able. From what I have read (and seen) on the driveshaft on these there are only 2 zirk fittings at the u joints.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see a zirk fitting on the slip joint, but I will have another good look again just in case before I consider trying to remove it and grease it up etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting! My '08 is doing the same. I crawled under to check the drive shaft but must have missed seeing the grease zerts. Old school days if the u joints were bad there was some slop in the shaft but I didn't find any. Guess I'll be crawling back underneath.

Thanks guys.

Dan

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Interesting! My '08 is doing the same. I crawled under to check the drive shaft but must have missed seeing the grease zerts. Old school days if the u joints were bad there was some slop in the shaft but I didn't find any. Guess I'll be crawling back underneath.
On an 08 you probably won't find any grease fittings in place. They changed some things around and went cheap. You will probably see you have 2 u/j on the front shaft. Older models had one u/j and one c/v joint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts