Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1960 Corvair, 1975 Morris Mini, 1962 Renault Dauphine, 2012 Grand Cherokee
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a common problem here with lifter ticking when started in Kias, especially in the 3 cyl Picanto. The dealer uses 10W-40 oil, which I consider too thick for that engine, and may not be pumping up fast enough.

Has anyone had experience with this, or played with different viscosities? I think the manual recommends 5W-30, but have a service bulletin that says 5W-20

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
use whatever the owners manual recommends for your country. You could get lifters ticking at initial start on many engines depends on the design, till it gets the oil circulated, but its only briefly.

·
Registered
Kia-Rio EX 1.4 Hatch Petrol (Silver)
26 Posts
Ticking noise

I also have a ticking noise which is very annoying when i start from cold on kia rio ex 1.4 petrol. had car back to garage twice to no avail . They said its common to all Kia Rio's and turn the radio up and enjoy your new car was the answer.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
We have a common problem here with lifter ticking when started in Kias, especially in the 3 cyl Picanto. The dealer uses 10W-40 oil, which I consider too thick for that engine, and may not be pumping up fast enough.

Has anyone had experience with this, or played with different viscosities? I think the manual recommends 5W-30, but have a service bulletin that says 5W-20
I also consider that 10W-40 is the wrong grade for your car. Our climate (Tropical) is probably similar to yours, and the local KIA agents recommend 10W-30. The US recommendation is usually 5W-20, but you may have trouble accessing that grade in your country.

I use Caltex Havoline Premium Plus 10W-30 in our KIA. No excessive noise, no oil used between changes. This is a high quality conventional oil. In my other car, I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 Synthetic.

"Old School" mechanics in hot climates often recommend high viscosity oil "Because of the high ambient temperatures". This is rubbish, because the ambient temperature has nothing to do with engine operating temperature. Ambient temperature determines the "W" value. Some people even confuse the top viscosity value with the ambient temperature.

I prefer oils with narrow viscosity ranges (e.g. 10W-30), indicating that there's a low level of friction modifiers, and the oil is probably more stable. The opposite would be something like 0W-40.

Note also that oil grade refers to a range of viscosities, and two brands of "30 Grade" may have different working viscosities.

See: Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I do have access to 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 in API SN semi-synthetics.

Hopefully today we will have a chance to try different oils.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
RichardLW...
I enjoyed "seeing" your 1960 Corvair...
I must say you really took on a restoration job!
It must have been a labor of love to tackle that one...
Jeszek would like it also...His home is Honduras and he visits here also.
Thanks for sharing your "GEM"
Dave

Reactions: Loyale 2.7 Turbo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. Restoration is a way of getting away from it all and being able to think things through. Also keeps me away from becoming too theoretical in my search for real solutions for maintenance.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
One possible cause of start-up noise that has been frequently mentioned on the forum is the use of after-market filters. Genuine KIA filters are supposed to have a check-valve to prevent oil drainage.

Checked the handbook for my wife's Mazda 6 (2.3 litre, 4 cyl.) as a matter of interest. Suggested oil grades for our climate extremes (0°C to 40°C) are: 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40, so "Go Figure" (with apologies to our US friends). The dealer had been using 10W-40, so I stuck with that once the car was out of warranty. No ill-effects after nearly 10 years on 10W-40, although I would probably have chosen 5W-30, knowing what I know now. Probably not a good idea to change to another grade at this stage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These all have original OEM filters. Tonight, at the dealer, we will change oil in 3 of them with 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-40.

Then I will bring back the filters to cut open.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The Gamma engine used in the Rio has what they call "Mechanical Lash Adjusters" or MLAs. These could also be called bucket style mechanical lifters. Mechanical lifters must be built with a small gap between the valve and the bucket that is known as "lash". This lash is required in order to compensate for metal expansion when the engine heats up to operating temperature. That is why the noise is present when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up, the metal expands, and the pounding caused by the gap is no longer present. Some engine designs (such as the Tau V8 and Nu I4, when speaking of Hyundai and Kia engines) incorporate "Hydraulic lash adjusters", which instead use oil pressure to automatically adjust valve lash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That explains why it is more prevalent on that engine. I spent a morning at the dealer the other day and none of the 3 cylinder cars came in, but there were 3 Sportages with 2.4 liter engines. I was surprised that the noise was not just startup, but continued even after warmed up. They sounded like diesels or sewing machines.

We took three identical cars with less than 3000 miles on them (2.4 engine) (all in for their first service) that sounded terrible and put 15W-40 in one, quieting it slightly.

So I put 5W-30 in one and 5W-20 in the third. (ambient temps were 85F, but we let them all warm up anyway)

The 5W-20 quieted down to what the 15W-40 sounded like, but the 5W-30 became super quiet. So I drained the 5W-20 and put 5W-30 in that one too. Total quiet. When we closed the hood the mechanic thought the engine had shut off.

The 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-40 are all identical formula SN oils. The 15W-40 was CI-4.

There doubt about going to what the Kia bulletin says (use 5W-20 except in very hot climates) comes partly from tradition and partly from the manual that comes in these cars for this zone.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Interesting results; I'm surprised that there were such distinct differences. Did you check the specs. for each oil to get the viscosity at operating temperature (100°C)?

You probably just warmed the engines rather than driving them under hot conditions on the road; engines may have been at 80°C. I wonder what the relative viscosities were at 80°C.

·
Registered
2013 Rio
13 Posts
Very nice topic guys. I live in Canada and my engine ticks even when hot. I believe is the same issue some of you had: wrong oil viscosity. The recommended oil for my region is 5w20 - 0w20. Funny thing is: I got my car from a Kia dealership, with wrong oil type (apparently) and too much oil in it, that I had to drain at least 500ml to get on the higher mark on the stick. I will do my change within the next couple of days and let you guys know the result.

Thanks!
F

1 - 15 of 15 Posts