Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some feedback from the masses here. Just got done changing the oil 2003 Sedona. Started up and really let it run. When fully hot I get a noticable, and I should throw in, annoying "rat-tat-tat-tat-tat"...sounding like it's from the rear 3 cylinders. Front seems quiet. Does this 3.5 have hydraulic, solid. or roller lifters? Could this be just a lash adjustment ??? How hard are they to get at on an OHC engine??? I've changed the oil and filters every 3000 mi. It's usually pretty clean, I find it hard to believe I could have clogged a hydraulic lifter. What do you guys think??? any mechanics out there ????

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys

check and see what oil grade and type you are using i sugest a 10 w 40 grade oil if its cold over there i would run a 5 w 30 grade. i dont think its a blocked lifter but if the oil is too thick it wont go into the lifter.
depends on the oil type as well i had 300v Motul full syn in my kia and changed to ELF partial synthetic last oil change cause i was out of stock of the motul and got a slight noise in the valve train but it is getting better . I am about to change it back to a full synthetic and see how it goes.
My carnival has just turned 20000 km

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.... I've used regular non-synthetic Valvoline 5-30 right from the beginning, and for 2 yrs. it's been quiet. This noise has just startedm to emerge and like I said seems to be coming from somewhere,(one of the 3) rear lifters?????

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey.....!!!!!! I'm answering my own topic...!!!! After a day, the oil pressure charged up and the lifters are now quiet. Now the service department is trying to tell me this is because of the "special" Kia (hyundai) oil filters....that is the check valve maintains just the right oil pressure for the Kia engine, whereas a third party oil filter's check valve may not,... causing the delay in the charge up. ...... I really think this is bullshit. I've been using STP 2808 oil filters for at least 6 oil changes and this was the first time the lifters were slower than normal to fill up. But ... I'll buy a stock filter or two and see what happens....If anyone has experienced problems with aftermarket oil filters, please drop me a line.....Thanks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts