Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage Platinum CRD AWD & Triumph Tiger 1050
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

We're looking to move to Tasmania next year so I've been looking at ways to improve the off road capabilities of my car. For Australian 3G Sportage owners wanting a bit more ground clearance:

SL, SL Platinum (04/10 on) | Dobinsons Spring & Suspension ? Official Site

These springs will give you a 40mm lift. I had Dobinsons on my old Forester and they were great with a 30mm lift. I'll be looking to install these on my Sportage very soon.

Just need to find a better wheel/tyre combo.....

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage Platinum 2.0 CRDi, 2015 Kia Cerato SL 2.0 and BMW R1150RT
9 Posts
G'day mate. Great news, though I'm having trouble getting their page to load. Do you have any idea of pricing?

Bruce also in WA

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Bruce
I rang Malaga Suspensions who sell Dobinsons and they quoted $950 fitted with wheel alignment. There was a guy getting his Sportage done when I rang!

Please note there are two different sets of springs available, one for AWD and one for 2WD

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
530 Posts
nice keep us updated. is it just replacing the coil springs and an alignment or are there more parts to install?

i'd be interested, for surf fishing at the gulf.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting. Hope someone here will provide personal experience on this kind of lift kit. I've heard that lift springs can make the ride stiffer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not had mine done yet but I spoke to a guy who had his Sorento done and he loved the ride. He did say that taller tyres would be preferable though.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Just curious, but why buy a sporty SUV and then raise it up? I get that you're moving, but I wouldn't own anything in Australia outside of an off-road capable vehicle from the start.

Anyway, I would love to see pics of this thing lifted. Good luck, bro.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, but why buy a sporty SUV and then raise it up? I get that you're moving, but I wouldn't own anything in Australia outside of an off-road capable vehicle from the start.

Anyway, I would love to see pics of this thing lifted. Good luck, bro.

This is my old Forester with Dobinsons springs fitted (30mm lift) with taller BF Goodrich ATs. It's a lifted sporty SUV being the XT model with the WRX motor. It went pretty much anywhere I wanted it to go including beaches, sand dunes and rough rocky trails. The lift transformed its capabilities no end, plus it went like a scolded cat too :)

I'm not wanting to do crazy off road stuff like that in my Kia, just raise it a tad so the low front end doesn't bottom out on gravel roads or rough rural driveways. The AWD system probably isn't as good as the Subaru but it certainly isn't bad and will be adequate for what I want it to do. As for a proper 4WD truck based vehicle, been there done that and don't want another heavy thirsty lump that drives poorly compared to our Kias.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
That is honestly one of the coolest looking Foresters I have ever seen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is honestly one of the coolest looking Foresters I have ever seen.
Thanks mate. It certainly was an awesome car but it had done 300000kms so i sold it.

Hey I see in your signature that you're running General Grabbers at 255/55/18. Do you find they rub on full lock or at any other time? If you could post up a pic I'd really appreciate it. I was considering putting on similar sized tyres after I'd lifted it so fill up the arches a bit but was going to go a more all terrain or ATS like the Yokohamas. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Thanks mate. It certainly was an awesome car but it had done 300000kms so i sold it.

Hey I see in your signature that you're running General Grabbers at 255/55/18. Do you find they rub on full lock or at any other time? If you could post up a pic I'd really appreciate it. I was considering putting on similar sized tyres after I'd lifted it so fill up the arches a bit but was going to go a more all terrain or ATS like the Yokohamas. Thanks :)
They do rub sometimes at full lock, but sometimes they don't, not sure why, but it is minimal anyway, so it doesn't bother me much.

Here are some pics, if they help at all....

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, they look great. They are definitely the size I need. Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update on this. Finally got round to ordering the springs, should have them on by the end of the month because they have to be made at the factory then shipped to WA. I'll post some pics when it's done :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello everyone, another update.

Since my last post I have had a set of 255x55x18 General Grabber ATs fitted and the lift springs went on last week. Before the springs were fitted the new tyres (being slightly taller) made the car look lowered and they rubbed slightly on full lock. However, now the springs are on it looks perfect and I have measured an increase of 50mm in ride height over all, making a total of 225mm from the lowest point, which is the plastic sump guard under the engine. That's about the same ground clearance as a Subaru XV (or Crosstrek in the US). The rubbing has just about stopped also. It only happens slightly on occasions.

I'll post some pics up sometime this weekend when i get chance :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the pics. I managed to park next to a stock Sportage so you can see the difference in height and tyres size. I'm very happy with how it looks and drives.

For those who are interested, I got the springs from Dobinsons: Dobinsons Spring & Suspension ? Official Site

Just be careful if you order some as there are different part numbers for 2WD and AWD cars :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
What a coincidence! I need new tires and was literally about to buy General Grabbers 255/55/18 but I was afraid of the rubbing. For a couple of hundred dollars more, I was able to buy 16" rims with 225/70/16 Hancook Dynapros ATM RF10's. Don't have them yet though...delivery next week.

·
Registered
2015 Sportage Mk3 1.7 (2) crdi isg
100 Posts
What a coincidence! I need new tires and was literally about to buy General Grabbers 255/55/18 but I was afraid of the rubbing. For a couple of hundred dollars more, I was able to buy 16" rims with 225/70/16 Hancook Dynapros ATM RF10's. Don't have them yet though...delivery next week.

Have a look on www.willtheyfit.com. Also if you are 4x4 you need to be careful with changing the rolling diameter. Read up in your manual.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts

Have a look on www.willtheyfit.com. Also if you are 4x4 you need to be careful with changing the rolling diameter. Read up in your manual.
I went to a similar site and figured out that 225/70/16 is identical to the OEM 235/55/18. Fortunately, My speedometer shouldn't have any difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts