Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed PILOT 1157 RED LED bulbs for both brake lights and now when I press the brake my front corner lamps turn on. They turn off when I release my brakes. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, this is puzzling. My thought are that these LED's are not CanBus compliant or you may have broken the solder seal, when installing, and causing this weird action. Have you went back to original bulbs to see if things went back to normal? While the LED bulbs were in, did you receive any diagnostic codes? This stuff can drive you nuts!!! :hyper:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
no its ok.. it just needs some resistance or need the higher wattage led bulbs.. i have done this to a honda pilot and crv on my friends and they are fine but i used the 80w cree which is 3x better than stock and rich red in color including turn signals.. i do have leds in my suv but markers on;ly as the sx came with led tails..

the pilot ones you used are 5050 smd the 80w cree will be better for this application as the non led tails of the sorento has fluted lenses and weird light diffusers on the lenses

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I put the old ones in and of course it solves the issue. I love the vibrant color of the RED LED's, you can really tell the difference. I'll pick up some 80w Crees. THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just replaced a rear brake light bulb yesterday. I wanted to use a LED bulb, but could not get enough information on whether they would work so I replaced it with a 1157 standard red bulb. I was told the upper bulb should be the red ones and the lower bulb Amber color.

I was tempted to use the clear color bulb as a way to get more light. Does anyone know if you can do this with good results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REVISITING THIS: I bought 80w LED bulbs for my tails and it seemed to solve the corner lamps coming on when I hit the brakes but now my Down Hill assist light is constantly lit, is this coincidence or did the power draw from these LED bulbs cause my brake light switch to go out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: the downhill assist light turns on when i turn on my headlights. Stays lit until I turn off the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to my update: So I took the car in for an oil change and recall work. In fear of voiding any warranty issues, I pulled the 80w LEDs out and VOILA (of course) the downhill assist indicator issue goes away. Wondering if there's a workaround for this as the LED bulbs look waaaaay better but the downhill assist indicator constantly lit bothers me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
@ackb0i try getting some 25w resistor from auto value put one on each side, + and - only, not the brake wire.. thats weird how about turn signal did you change them to led too? resistor with it?
@Flush4ing4 which white bulb you using for? turn signal? no.. it would be a glare light only use 50w-80w cree amber for brake light use red only, if you use white you will get pink tail light

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
kobi411
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing