Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it seems there is no DRL option on the US 2014 Sorento I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to easily wire the LED "positioning" lights to be on whenever the ignition is on.

btw, did not want to turn on the "parking lights" as this both turns on the rear lights and also does not allow you to have your lights be in the AUTO position

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I hope someone figures it out. The UK version has DRL's. Just very odd KIA opted to not have them on such as the Sportage SX or even the Optima SX has DRL's.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
It's simple enough if you open the headlights. If that seems impossible, I think you'd be able to cut the parking + wire and extend it to a fuse.

Car's with dedicated LED DRLs have an extra pin, so that diagram might not help much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's simple enough if you open the headlights. If that seems impossible, I think you'd be able to cut the parking + wire and extend it to a fuse.

Car's with dedicated LED DRLs have an extra pin, so that diagram might not help much.
Diagram may help as the harness may be the same but the pinout on the harness connector where it connects to the headlight may just be changed so that the LED is connected to a different wire depending on whether they need to be "side lights" or DRL's

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Diagrams help understand the differences between each country and the proper way to hack something since you are just reproducing what Kia already did. (Even a Sante-Fe diagram or Sportage would aid).

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
FYI, Canadian sorentos have DRL's but it is based on the inner headlight. LED's only come on if move to first position past "off". Think at this setting point and forward, headlights functions same as U.S. cars.

In checking KIA's UK site, see it states their DRL as being LED.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I think even if we found a way to turn them on for daytime use, they are clearly not as bright as lets say the DRL's on the Sportage SX or those offered now on the Optima. Unless there is a way to increase the wattage and brightness.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
I have info on the santa fe headlight, but I have to label everything...

My guess is if the connector are the same and there's no extra pin, then the wire is the same, it's just a computer telling the LEDs to turn on with the parking lights if the engine is off, or if the engine is on and the parking lights are then turned on, then it only turns on the tails. That would make sense.

...In any case, it might be a couple days before I can give you the santa fe headlight info.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Try directly wiring the "positioning lights" to the ignition wire.
Anybody have any luck with this? I installed aftermarket DRL's (high beams only at 40% intensity), which work wonderfully. The only problem being the high-beam light on the dash stays on when the lights are off... even though it's half as bright as when the actual high beams are on. But I have experimented with attaching lighting (positioning lights--not used as DRL) to the ignition. It worked! But.. I don't want them on all the time since I already have DRL. So I wired them to the parking lights. If I want anything to turn on with ignition and off when the lights come on, I wire it to the DRL unit. This is all self-tought, so make sure you don't shock yourself while using trial and error!! I noticed the new Cadenza has "positioning lights", which got me interested in this. I don't understand why they are not DRL, since most auto-makers (especially with cars also sold in the EU) are going this direction anyway--I'm assuming because they don't have to use different wiring for different markets, and--it just plain looks cool, like on Audi, BMW, etc.:D

·
Registered
2014 Sorento lx loaded
60 Posts
I would think that it would be easier to replace the driving light 27 watt bulbs with 7 watt led's and rewire the fogs to come on as drl's..they would be bright, energy efficient and an easy fix. just need to find a engine on hot empty fuse terminal for the relay

·
Registered
2014 EX 2.4L
13 Posts
Drls

Try directly wiring the "positioning lights" to the ignition wire.

KIA Manual says if you modify ANY electrical, etc then warranty is void. Anyone like to comment on that. I would like to have DRL's being as salesman said Sorento of 2014 would have them. I am in U.S.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
As a salesperson, I think you should know that even if you modify something, then ALL warranty is not void. They have to prove that your modification made the thing break/stop working. Re-wiring the LEDs to be used as DRLs can't be reason to not honor a transmission warranty, but of course, grounds for non replacement of a headlight if the LEDs went out.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
As the owner of a 2014 Forte, this somewhat bothers me as well. However, I just use the parking light setting on the switch, because even in the daytime, the LED taillights just look better when they're on. I've NEVER used the auto setting on ANY car, mainly because it turns the lights off too soon in the morning, on too late in the evening, and NOT AT ALL when it's raining!! This is true for the Forte as well. When I first got the car it was in the "AUTO" setting, and that night driving home, people kept flashing me to turn my lights on, because the car wanted to wait until the last minute. If it doesn't turn the lights on in the rain (or in morning fog), again, it defeats the whole purpose. I can see your point, though I guess. To be honest, when the taillights aren't on (this is true for Forte AND Sorento) the rear end is kind of plain.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
102 Posts
I was disappointed, too, that the LEDs didn't work as DRLs. For some reason I had thought they were when doing my research for a new car. I keep my lights on "Auto" but I think they are actually too sensitive as they will turn on if I'm in a shadow while at a stoplight. I'm also disappointed that the fog lights won't turn on independently from the headlights, but that might be a law in California -- maybe.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
My foglights turn on and off independent of the headlights; though will not function with high beams on.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
102 Posts
I love Canada. What? Sorry NSA... it's about my Kia Sorento... No! Please don't! I just wanted to turn on my foglights independently... no... sorrry...

I will comply. No, I'm not Canadian. No Fog-lights without headlights. Yes. Thank you.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
I was disappointed, too, that the LEDs didn't work as DRLs. For some reason I had thought they were when doing my research for a new car. I keep my lights on "Auto" but I think they are actually too sensitive as they will turn on if I'm in a shadow while at a stoplight. I'm also disappointed that the fog lights won't turn on independently from the headlights, but that might be a law in California -- maybe.
It's not a California law, that's how they all work in the US. Older cars used to be able to have fogs independent of the low. It's just a law that all 6 can't be on at the same time, which is why when the highs are on, the fogs shut off. Why they made it dependent on the lows...who knows.

Just use them as parking lights and they'll be on all the time. Just like DRLs, except they won't dim when the lows are on (since they're already naturally not very bright) and the tails will be on, too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts