Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the threads, I found the correct bulbs to use for each position, and I ignored all that. I ended up installing 5 of these: Amazon.com: NEEWER® T10 36 SMD LED Light Festoon Dome Bulb Lamp White 12V: Home Improvement Each one has 36 LEDs, and each one has multiple base styles. I used one in the cargo light, two in the center light, and one each per side of the front map lights. Quick breakdown:
Lights are bright and cheap. They come from the middle of nowhere though, so shipping isn't all that fast. The lights have sticky back tape on the back so they can be stuck to whatever. Positive and negative are marked on each bulb, but some are marked wrong and it doesn't matter. Red, black, whatever. The adapter plugs into the light bulb socket, and you connect it to the LED assembly. If it doesn't light, disconnect it and reconnect it the other way. Voila! For the cargo light, I just installed the 'festoon' adapter (the bit that goes where the original bulb went) and connected it to the LED assembly, then peeled off the sticky and stuck it right to the bottom of the festoon. No problems so far. The center lights took a bit of modification. I soldered two of the LED assemblies to one adapter. I then took pliers and removed a bit of plastic on each side (of the car, not the LED) that looked like they were to hold more bulbs. Once I removed the extra plastic I was left with two large flat mounting surfaces, one on each side. I peeled off the sticky and stuck one to each flat spot, then plugged them into the adapter. Here is where I found that the wire color is irrelevant; one worked, the other didn't. I flipped the connector around, and the other worked. Ended up having to de-solder and go red to black rather than red to red, etc. Stuck both in, plugged it up, good to go. Front map lights were fairly easy too. Opened sunglass holder, removed two screws, and the whole assembly came down. One electrical connector loose and it all came out of the car. I removed the stock bulb and reflector assembly, and cleaned up the tops of the screw posts a bit. I added a small screw in an unused screw post, and left the head sticking up as high as the other two posts. I peeled the sticky off, and stuck it to the two screw posts and one screw head. Repeated for the other side, reinstalled, and there ya go. Terrible description, but honestly if you take yours apart it's obvious. Oh, the map light lenses push out from the top, just stick a screwdriver in through where the light was and it'll pop out. The new lights are very bright white/blue, and light the interior up much better than stock. Plus the lights were fairly cheap, I wanna say it was under $25 shipped for all of them.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
you can find those in walmart too.. i used it in my civic...

·
Registered
Sorento SX-V6 AWD
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fwiw I just found something very similar at the local advance auto, difference being they wanted $25 each.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
yeah walmart is 18-22$ i think.. lol.. thats the only problem.. they keep adding profit from a distributor to another..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts