Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I would like to pry apart from headlight to install LEDs and CFL angel eyes like this pic [attached]. I was wondering if anyone has done this before on thier sorrey then please if you could give some tips and tricks or things to be careful when doing this please?

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX FWD 4cyl, Titanium/Black
65 Posts
Hi Guys,

I would like to pry apart from headlight to install LEDs and CFL angel eyes like this pic [attached]. I was wondering if anyone has done this before on thier sorrey then please if you could give some tips and tricks or things to be careful when doing this please?

Not sure how to do everything, but you could at least buy a plug-n-play Halo with LED headlight set like this:
2011-2012 KIA SORENTO DUAL CCFL HALO HEAD LIGHTS PROJECTOR AMBER PAIR + DRL FOG | eBay

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Not sure how to do everything, but you could at least buy a plug-n-play Halo with LED headlight set like this:
2011-2012 KIA SORENTO DUAL CCFL HALO HEAD LIGHTS PROJECTOR AMBER PAIR + DRL FOG | eBay
the output on that headlight is terrible.. better stick to our projector... our h11 projectors handles hid better than those.. just that it has leds..

anyway.. its hard to open our stock headlights.. those ones are assembled in asia, their headlights have softer glue; north American vehicles have perma-seal type.. stronger than chrysler's glue (epoxy strength) its not possible opening without destroying our headlights lol..
well anyway i am just waiting for somebody to send me an exact replica of the sorentos healights so i can present it as a DIY.. then make it look like optimus prime at night lol..

heres my thread by the way.. check it out.., pic at night below

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/79974-dual-bi-xenon-projectors-led-halos.html

i can go 4 low beams too just not to turn on the fog lights..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
and those leds are overkill IMO..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
OP ..so for DIY here you go..

for opening headlights.. assuming you got the exact replica ones... (there is no way you can open originals without destroying it.. plus lots of security torque screws inside.. trust me..)

this is based in my experience guys.. ok? i followed some tips in chrysler forums...
you will need star screwdrivers , one is from the outside.. at the side..the back of turn signal.. take it out first.. before baking it..
to open our headlights.. needs a lot of patience.. it sucks' but it’s a fact. If you try to rush this you will either give up in frustration or ruin your headlights.. I never tried to go over 250F. I did however ended up heating the lights several times each during the process. maximum temp is 230F only

1.First pre-heat the oven to 230F and bake the first light for 20 minutes. When the timer is done place the hot headlight to the counter top and place the second headlight in, then re-set the timer for 20 minutes

2.While the second headlight was baking begin working on the hot housing. Start at a corner and slowly work the tip of the screwdriver ( i used a short flat head for better control of force) around that corner. careful not to use too much force or the plastics will be deformed or break the lens cover.. If you don't have any luck with one corner go to the next.

3.By the time you have fiddled with the four corners on the first housing the 20 minute timer will go off. Swap the headlight housings in the oven and repeat the above process

4.Once you get back to the headlight housing you started with; time it until to 10 minutes then Every 10 minutes you are going to swap headlights. then by the third swap i think, you will finally see some progress, you will get the first few gaps to appear.

5. slowly check the parts that are glued tight, sad to say the corners are, repeat same process.. do not prop them open quickly or you will crack them...

then do your thing.. (like led halos, led turn signal, led eyeline projector retrofit etc)
i sealed it with oci butyl rubber (theretrofitsource.com) used for sealing windows.. no condensation as long as you seal them good..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts