Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
42 Posts
I think there have been a number of threads regarding LEDs and HIDs. And since recent sorentos have projectors, then you should find plenty of answers. If you just want white or non-halogen color, then LEDs should be fine. But if you want brightness and power, I'd generally go HIDs.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Cadenza 2014
33 Posts
Here's the best video I've seen explaining led bulbs in automotive headlights - he gets everything right. It's a long video, but worth it if you are trying to get the best output and want to understand the myriad of LED bulbs on the market. Generally speaking, HIDs in projectors will outshine LEDs in projectors every time.

https://youtu.be/DeaDrH0gXZk

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorentos are generally not compatible with aftermarket HIDs.
They throw error codes and several people here have blown out their LED trim which is a very expensive lesson.

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
42 Posts
Sorentos are generally not compatible with aftermarket HIDs.
They throw error codes and several people here have blown out their LED trim which is a very expensive lesson.
Not really helpful in choosing LEDs, but on the point of HID issues, as long as you stay away from super cheap ebay HIDs you should be good. I have a 2018 LX that came with halogens as stock and the user manual lists the higher trim levels as having HIDs for low beam on the projectors.

I also have installed 35W HIDs for the low beam with no issues. I am evem thinking of changing the now LED (was stock halogen) fogs to HID, but I want to research more before I do that.

10 years ago, when HID was gaining popularity, it was recommended to have projectors, as the regular lamp housing creates a lot of glare.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really helpful in choosing LEDs, but on the point of HID issues, as long as you stay away from super cheap ebay HIDs you should be good. I have a 2018 LX that came with halogens as stock and the user manual lists the higher trim levels as having HIDs for low beam on the projectors.

I also have installed 35W HIDs for the low beam with no issues. I am evem thinking of changing the now LED (was stock halogen) fogs to HID, but I want to research more before I do that.

10 years ago, when HID was gaining popularity, it was recommended to have projectors, as the regular lamp housing creates a lot of glare.

The manual on my 16 SX also stated NOT to install HID's!

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX V6, 2016 Forte LX+
33 Posts
Aldrexx which HID bulbs did you install? H11A or H11B, Did you get the dark lines in middle of the light pattern?

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
42 Posts
Aldrexx which HID bulbs did you install? H11A or H11B, Did you get the dark lines in middle of the light pattern?
There were no dark lines in the middle and everything works out as good as it could be.

I got this one from amazon. I am still trying to find the reply I got from the vendor if it was H11A or B to match mine but I can't find it. And I cannot find my notes on what I have. LOL.

BPS Lighting - HID Xenon Conversion Kit - Plug and Play Canbus Terminator Series Full Digital 35W Kit With Quick Start Techology - Replacement Halogen Headlight Lamp - Fog Light Beam - 2 Yrs Warranty / Lifetime Tech Support (H11, 6000K)

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
42 Posts
H11 and yes,
and blown out LED eyebrows
and canbus errors.
Mus be an issue for older sorentos then. No errors on my end and 2 other 2018 sorentos I know of from the neighborhood.

Maybe they changed some wirings for newer sorentos, and even if the LX did not come with HID as stock, I am assuming that the harnesses are the same between trims, so the wiring can handle HIDs. For manufacturability, that's what manufacturer's do to make production & assembly easier.

So if the manual says no HIDs, then thats that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had install the HID with extra capacitors , there were no error warnings, i had them on for 2 weeks or so , but the lines in the middle drove me crazy ... i change them for LED's which now they buzzing really loud... so I will go to stock for now...until i get the correct Bulb .

I never have any issues on my 2016 Forte , same kit, same size bulbs and no dark lines. Still running like new.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had to be H11. I think Santa Fe is H11B some years, but I never found anyone who makes an H11B kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i installed Morimoto H11B / and other brands...I'll be ordering the H11A hopefully there will be not issues

·
Registered
2007 Kia rondo 2.4 ltr. Automatic, 2000 Tacoma & 1969 VW bug.
95 Posts
Had to be H11. I think Santa Fe is H11B some years, but I never found anyone who makes an H11B kit.
I installed Innovited HID H11B ( around $40 ) in my 07 Rondo months ago.....very happy so far.

( I tried LED first in the projector housing first but unsatisfactory results)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento (run about)
163 Posts
If there is physical room, one can replace 11B bulbs with H11 bulbs. And if one has physical room to install H11 bulbs, one can install modified base H9 bulbs instead. If wondering, I replaced factory "too dim" 11b bulbs in my other vehicle's low beam with H9 bulbs and they work great. 20-25% brighter than 11b bulbs and I can still use their factory dust caps. Use google and search for "H11b to H11 bulb" conversion, and "H11 to H9 bulb" conversion. Google images has lots of pictures in these areas...

Note: If touching/replacing any headlight bulb, remember to perform light beam re-alignment afterwards. Many folks forget this critical step and get flash at afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using H7 LED in my 2019 Sorento SX with Halogen Projectors -- I ordered a set of 2Stroke 2.0 LED H7 bulbs from The Retrofit Source. I did have to install the CANBUS as well as the SX does produce bulb out errors, but everything was plug and play.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm using H7 LED in my 2019 Sorento SX with Halogen Projectors -- I ordered a set of 2Stroke 2.0 LED H7 bulbs from The Retrofit Source. I did have to install the CANBUS as well as the SX does produce bulb out errors, but everything was plug and play.
You need a different LED. Mine do not produce any errors. The BCM for the SX and the EX are the same. The problem is with the bulbs you bought. These work perfectly with the adaptors and no errors at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD9Y3S1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts