Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sedona EX -- L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going thru low beam headlights (H11B) and it is extremely annoying and expensive. I just want to put LED's in and hopefully never have to replace them again. I am looking for 1.) best fit 2.) least expensive 3.) About the same brightness as OEM, I don't want to blind other drivers. Any recomendations? thx!

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2006 EX
13 Posts
I have used LEDs for 1+ years in my Prius; not Kia Sedona. Here is my experience:
LED life: LED retailers brag about long life; partly true. However, many LEDs have fans to keep them cool; these fans are likely to fail eventually, and overheating LEDs will fail consequently. I do not recommend buying LEDs only based on retailer's claims of 10,000 hours vs 20,000 hours of life. In 1 year, I had 1 LED bulb fail compared to 3 halogens on Prius.
Brightness vs inaccurate LED light patterns: Many Amazon reviewers brag about brightness; however, I've tried three brands; they have slightly better lumens, but not much. The perception of brightness may be associated with false light pattern with an inaccurate placement of LED-filament (LED-bulb). The false light patterns also shot blinding bright light on oncoming traffic; not safe. Of the three brands I tried, all three claimed to have H4-compatible LED bulbs. However, only one had correct H4 LED-filament placement (Katana H4 on Amazon) consistent with halogen filament placement. I recommend buying LED bulbs that have LED-placement geometrically consistent with halogen filament placement.
LED fan noise: LED fan are, in some cases, are noisy. Notable on a hybrid; probably not so much on a non-hybrid. LED with a noisy fan likely to fail soon.
White/Yellow color: I prefer yellow colored light over white-light. In the medical community, there are concerns that exposure to bright white light may be linked sleep disturbances, namely insomnia.

·
Registered
Sedona 2010
54 Posts
I am going thru low beam headlights (H11B) and it is extremely annoying and expensive. I just want to put LED's in and hopefully never have to replace them again. I am looking for 1.) best fit 2.) least expensive 3.) About the same brightness as OEM, I don't want to blind other drivers. Any recomendations? thx!
Your failure rate is high. I would think something else is going on. It may be possible you have recieved poor quality bulbs but I would look for a poor wiring connection causing more heat build up than normal.

·
Registered
2008 Sedona, base model.
53 Posts
My impression has been that it is impossible to get proper light distribution with LED retrofits in a system designed for halogen (filament) lamps. My only experience is putting LEDs in a 2005 Subaru Outback (low beam, projector setup). There is some improvement in visibility but the cutoff is fuzzy, so I would not be surprised if other vehicles might be annoyed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve seen some LED bulbs where there is a screw to loosen, and then the bulb assembly can be rotated into different positions to try to get them properly aligned.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
511 Posts
I've put Katana H11 into Forte and H11 LED bulbs usually can be used where H11B came from factory like in my Sportage, I did have to slightly modify the connector inside headlight in Sportage.
Imho, Katana bulb is a better choice over Alla.
Also, some bulbs work better in reflector headlight and others in projector one:
www.bulbfacts.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts