Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage 2.4 gas
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2017 Sportage used, love it! Headlights are a dim yellow, looking to put brighter LED bulbs in. Any recommendations for a brand and source for ones that work and won't trigger a error message. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
84 Posts
I just installed some on my 2020. Cougar motors leds. No error codes or resistors needed. Switch them out and go. One note tho, the dust caps will not fit. Great lighting. 35w bulbs. A lil noisey but cant compare with others as these are my first.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
407 Posts
I had no issues with my 2020 Sorento with the LASFIT LED bulbs, the dust covers had room to spare. Check their site, they were very good about custom fit bulbs with no adapters, and I'm very happy with the lighting improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had no issues with my 2020 Sorento with the LASFIT LED bulbs, the dust covers had room to spare. Check their site, they were very good about custom fit bulbs with no adapters, and I'm very happy with the lighting improvement.
Thanks this is exactly what I needed

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
106 Posts
You guys have newer vehicles. I've never had headlight bulbs fail that soon. What gives?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have newer vehicles. I've never had headlight bulbs fail that soon. What gives?
They didn't fail. The original bulbs are halogen for headlights and fog. They are a dim and a yellow color compared to the daytime running lights. So looking for a upgrade.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
84 Posts
My stock halogens were actually really bright. I got flashed all the time with lows. It is my drls that are ugly and dull. Already got leds not yet installed and resistors i need to figure out. Jus want something more up to date and personalized.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage CRDI
21 Posts
You are right. If there is one thing I hate about the newer Sportage, it’s the projector halogens. I frequently have to check if they’re on as I think they’re set up too high & doesn’t flood the front like my other cars. I have to turn on the fog lights sometimes. This will be the next thing I’ll do.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
106 Posts
I've seen this problem in other makes projector halogens. LED makes a huge improvement. My son has a GM car that we put some 55w LED's in and it turned out good. Finding good bulbs is the hardest part. Sellers lie about the specs and such.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
729 Posts
While not the same gen Sportage but I'm very happy with Katana LED bulbs, first got them for Forte and install was very easy - bulb, its driver and resistor (Car Rover) all fit inside the headlight.
Bulbs and resistor were bought from Amazon. Resistor wasn't required per say but bulbs somewhat 'flicker' annoying perfectionist me.
Sportage got same bulbs and resistors but I had to mod bulb connector and dust cover to have bulb driver and resistor on outside headlight.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
84 Posts
Im not sure if ur gen is the same or not but i kno on mine the bulb for the drl sits in a slot with contact points. The wiring is all together. The resistors u had used, where/how and what wattage did u use? I purchased some 21w ones being the oem drls are 21w. Im not sure if these are the ones needed to prevent the dash error/issues. Im also not sure exactly where to use them? In the harness with the other wiring for the headlights? Im assuming i need to find the drl wire and attach it there. Again im not sure if i even got the right ones. Also to respond bout the dust caps, my caps would fit the leds if i removed the inner ring and baggy thing which im guessing is to protect it from heat. My ring things had looked like they melted with the stock halogens. Today i modified my dust caps. I removed the ring and package, drilled a hole through it and installed a rubber cover i got from old struts i had. Here is a pic if anyone is interested or wanting to do it. As mentioned the cover would fit but the extra room allows for better cooling

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 sorento
2 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Sportage used, love it! Headlights are a dim yellow, looking to put brighter LED bulbs in. Any recommendations for a brand and source for ones that work and won't trigger a error message. Thanks
I would look at LASFIT and see if they have bulbs to fit! I got mine from them but for a diffferent year and model

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
407 Posts
LASFIT also corresponded well and answered any questions I had. When it came time to buy, I was confident that I was getting something that would be PnP, and they were. 15 minutes and I was all done.

I stashed the old bulbs in the rear cargo area in case there ever was a problem, but so far they've performed flawlessly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts