Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys, appreciate ur help assisting me in mod-ing this led drl into the sportage bumper.
what tools are needed (is it jigsaw?) to make a hole to fit the DRL in?
i might want to consider how to clip in the drl strong enough so it wont' fall out.

and pls examine if my wiring diagram is correct?
basically the DRL comes with signal feature (frm ebay) and 3 cables out of each side - black, red, yellow.
i've also purchased the harness. this is without the manual switch control, as i plan to make the DRL - all times running lamp

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
The DRL didnt come with wiring instructions? Try finding the brand on the internet maybe you can get instructions on where the other wires connect to. As for tools... A dremel tool would be much better than a jigsaw. Are you just drilling a hole for the wires to pass through or are you going to cut the whole drl insert?

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
unfortunately no for the DRL, the harness yes, but i don't understand especially the white cable. the paper says it's for width lamp, anyone understands?
i've ran a test, took out the headlight socket, and plugged in each cable to its respective socket, it works. but when harness comes in between, this diagram is simply my guess... if it's correct then i'll give it a go.
here's the image from the harness instruction:

yup im planning to make a hole out of that dotted line shape. its a no turning back. gotta take a chance. dremel huh?... i gotta wait my budget till nxt mth, for now i'll b looking around for this tool. thanks jun!

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
My interpretation of the diagram:
RED: Positive battery terminal
Black: Negative battery terminal
Yellow: Turn signals
White: Im guessing headlight trigger probably to dim the drls

Yeah, with a dremel you can get precise cuts with the correct bits and attachments (practice first). Jigsaw is way too big.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
this is another pic from the harness, the white one (which is only 1 wire) is to connect to the power sidelight... but i guess i wont connect this white cable to anywhere... coz it'll turn off the drl when the low/high beam is on

note from the seller:"
note:the red and black wire do not connect to the battery, it should be connected to engine output power to make it work correctly"

where is this "engine output power" located?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
note from the seller:"
note:the red and black wire do not connect to the battery, it should be connected to engine output power to make it work correctly"

where is this "engine output power" located?
White sidelight: Im thinking parking light (the light on the sides of the headlight). Did the seller tell you it will shutoff the drls when it senses +12V?

In that case the black you can just find a bolt that is directly connect to the car's frame (ground) and the red youll have to find a source that will turn on when you start the car like the ignition fuse or much safer the cigarette lighter fuse or if you want to keep the fuse box cleaner tap the wire behind the actual cigarette lighter connection.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he didnt say that the drl will shut off when senses 12v, but he does mention something about 12v - "Connects to any 12v DRLs without auto switch Function already installed"

will it be fine to not connect the white cable?

joaks: im not familiar with the term, ACC = accumulator? isnt that the battery itself? correct me if im wrong
oh thanks for the insight, jun! that's very knowledgeful! gotta take my time to find the spots and decide which one.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
thats a common drl controller you have...
this is how it goes.. that drl controller will sense voltage increase and voltage drop, once the voltage increases to 13 (normal voltage running 14.1 and above) it turns on the drl, with 5 sec. delay, when it drops (normal voltage when off 12.1-12.6) it turns off after 20 sec.

the white wire, sometimes yellow is supposed to be tapped on your low beam's (+) for the function of; when you turn low beam on, the drl's will turn off.. if you leave it not tapped, drl will be on all the time.. so summary, after the desired placement of your drl and wired them,
just put the red wire to (+) of battery or (acc./ignition wire)-this is what the seller want you to do..
black to (-) of battery,
white wire to (+) of low beam (optional if you want them off when low beams are on)

acc- accessory wire i have that in my thread in led strips as drl in the sorento forums, i tapped it my fuse box then (-) to the battery..
those other 2 optional wires (turn light) if you tap them to (+) of your turn signals, it will also blink as your turn signals do..

hope this helps..

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
If your tapping into the fuse box for the red wire, you dont need to tap the black wire to the negative on the battery as most likely its too short to reach. Its just the same if the black wire is tapped onto a bolt on the car's frame as tapping it to the negative terminal battery.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
yeah.. but it wa easier to take it out.. my fuse box is just 2 iches away from my battery and the wire on those drls from the battery to the controller are more than 1ft. i also have a clip easy for taking it out i dont want it bolted/screwing it somewhere coz i kept changing my drls lol..

heres what i did (quad bi-xenons/ umnitza led halos as drl) - won the ROTM in hid planet.. lol

drl before (halos with led strips)

drl presently (led fogs running with the led halos)

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how does this fuse box in sportage look like?
kobi, hav u ever thought not taking out the led strips, i think it will go well with the drl fog light.

thanks for wiring info, guys. all that left for me to do, is finding a dremel. in my country's hardware shop doesnt have ths dremel tool.

·
Registered
Sportage LX 2012
9 Posts
Where is the DRL wiring connections from behind the headlamp assembly for 2011 Kia Sportage? anyone can post images and pictures please?....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts