Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my SX in Automatic lighting position only the headlamps act as daytime running lamps( I assume this is just in Canada where DRL's are the law) not the LED's. Don't understand why these wouldn't be the DRL's. Dealer is of no help.When i drive into the garage @ night the LED'S come on after I shut the car off. Do we just live with this or can or has anyone looked into getting the LED'S working all the time instead of the headlamps?

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
That's peculiar. My 2012 SX uses the LEDs for DRLs whether I have the light switch off or in Auto. So, it is either something that was changed for 2013 or there's something wrong with the wiring.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My 2013 hatch uses the led's as drls too. Maybe it's a hatch/sedan thing. Or as Tony says, its a wiring issue with your car.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would like to hear from anyone who has a Canadian SX SEDAN.Do your LED'S work as DRLs or your headlamps?

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
I would like to know is whatever Canada uses to activate the LEDs as DRLs, can we get it here at the states.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lordhelmet.I have asked my Dealer to ask Kia Canada .Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AIR RIO.Unless time & technology have changed I added DRL's to my 1992 Japanese import Mercedes-Benz 500SL by adding a generic DRL relay (Or I should say my Mechanic did:)).

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Just bought a 2013 SX with nav yesterday, same thing here, DRL are the head lights and the only time the LED's come on are when its dark out or I turn the lights on manually?!
what gives?!
Fill out your info so we know where you are. Is yours a hatch or sedan? We can't look for patterns or connections without more information.

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
Is it possible that DRLs are being added locally once they hit Canada and whoever is adding them is placing them on either the headlight or the LEDs and that's why you see them on either lights???

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
if that is the case im so brining it back to the dealer to have them swtich it to the LED..
I think it looks 100% better with the LED than the headlights with the powercut back on them..
oh ya! i can't see any reason to use anything other than led's for daytime use, it isn't to help you see, it is to help you be seen, and the led's do a wonderful job of that! and yes... it does look super cool, and premium!

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Nav Silver/Black
68 Posts
Just spoke with Southtown Kia Here in edmonton (dealer I bought my car from)
They can do it, they simply have to reprogram the car and it will turn off the headlights and turn on the LEDs for the DRL, but they say it will take 1.5hr to do so at a cost of $300.. Im going to contact my sales lady and see if she can help me..

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Is it possible that DRLs are being added locally once they hit Canada and whoever is adding them is placing them on either the headlight or the LEDs and that's why you see them on either lights???
no its all done at the factory as that is part of the vehicle being built for the Canadian market - like also the KMPH speedo for example. Also the vehicles are built with other features that are not configured the way you would say get in the US market.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xakkaxxx did you have any success getting your LED's working as DRLs? Thanks Terry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Kia Canada & their response is if i want to modify the settings from Korea's I have to pay for it:mad:

·
Registered
Kia Rio SX Navi 2013
109 Posts
As I wrote in another post, I will receive my rio next week:

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-rio/78599-its-done-just-order-my-sx-2.html

As soon as I saw this message I wrote an email to the dealer. He was waiting to have my model to be sure. Yesterday, at the time of my visit, we make the test. Same, the DRL are regular headlights, the seller was also surprised. By late afternoon he phoned to tell me that these technicians looking to repprogram prior to delivery, I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts