Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions, Has anyone successfully switched out there regular incandescent bulbs for LED (i.e., the turn signals, brake lights, running lights(all of them or any of them), and interior lights? Second question, has anyone did the upgrade to HID headlights with ballasts, etc.? If so could you please list the brands used and where to purchase them?

Note: I have tried swapping out the turn signals with LED (some from china and some from AutoZone) and used the resistors or whatever those things are called that AutoZone sells, to balance out any voltage issues with no luck. The best I could do was keep the front stock and the back LED. I may have installed the front wrong though too. Also I recently bought an HID Conversion kit for the headlights (which are awesome), however, I can't get the PIN combination absolutely correct. Meaning, I either have low beams (the bright 8000K diamond blue lights) and no High beams or I have the opposite after switching around the PINS. I think it may be faulty light kit... Also a wierd issue is that the high beam icon on the dash cluster is always on even though I can't get the high beams on (when I try to turn the high beams on, the low beams flicker and turn off. The only way to get them back on is to turn the lights off completely and back on).

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
If you're trying to run the HID's in the H4 housing (halogen, dual-beam in one bulb) then don't.
It blinds other drivers, and you'd be better off just driving everywhere with your high beams on.
This has been discussed/argued in depth in other threads.

Also!
Please list your location details, so we can help you better! There are HEAPS of different configs all over the world, so a little piece of info will never go astray. ;)

·
Registered
2010 KIA Rio LX Midnight Black.. CAI.. 6000k HID..
64 Posts
I also wondered about trying LEDs for the turns but ran into the same problem with the relay. I have an HID kit, i love it. Yeah it blinds other drivers, but i live in the country. There arent other drivers. My kit is set up where my regular lights are the HIDs and my "brights" are a seperate light bulb on the housing which is just a regular light bulb. so when A-holes flash their brights at ME for my HIDs i just switch on my "brights" to calm them down.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
If you get "Error Free" LED turns then you'll be fine.
They're resisted so they consume the same amount of power as regular incandescents - tricking CANBUS systems into thinking that there is an incandescent bulb in the holder.

Try not to be one of "Those guys" with the HID's in the reflectors.
Its more use to just drive around with your high beams on all the time.

If you want HID's, have a look at getting a projector lens retrofitted.

·
Registered
2007 Rio5 M/T
40 Posts
I've replaced the following lights with LED's: License plate, dome, sidemarkers, trunk.
I did have LED rear/brake lights but I had to go back to incandescent when I installed aftermarket cruise control.

Found the LED's at www.superbrightleds.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts