Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Rio 5 EX and the steering wheel that I think is simulated leather or pleather is peeling. It was peeling when I purchased the vehicle.

There is a very thin layer or skin over a rubber steering wheel and it started to peel from 10 to 2 oclock due to usage.

Has anyone else had this problem and is it worth the trouble of going back to the dealer for a warranty claim?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Mine has started doing it too. Its only just started doing it and Ive had it since April and done just under 32,000km. Personally I wouldnt bother replacing mine, the dealer knew as soon as I picked the car up it would never end up back there unless I was buying parts for it. I hope all of it goes on mine

If you going to sell your car though replace it. Its a wear and tear item but if a buyer saw it it would put them off or question its km's

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
First thing I bought for mine was a steering wheel cover. As much as I drive, I would have worn mine down to the steel core by now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

Still not sure if I want the dealer to take the car for most likely 2 days for simple steering wheel replacement, easier to purchase a real leather cover and install it over the current one.
I did that with my expedition and it matched and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I just noticed my car is having the same issue, there is a small patch about the size of a dime at the 1-2 o'clock position on the wheel that is wearing away. Considering the car is not even a year old, I don't think this speaks well of the build quality/materials.

Seems like every day that goes by, my attitude towards this car is changing from happy recommendation to friends and family to "why did I buy this piece of crap?"

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i checked mine, no obvious wear yet.

but guys, just get it changed under warranty. In Oz they have 5 year warranties so if it wears every year, i'll just get a new steering wheel every year lol.. stand up for yourselves, you're quote within your rights.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Still not sure if I want the dealer to take the car for most likely 2 days for simple steering wheel replacement, easier to purchase a real leather cover and install it over the current one.
I did that with my expedition and it matched and fit perfectly.
good point, just somethings are not worth the hassle, for this item I would do what you did, however, I have no problem on my Soul and owned a Rondo with the same for four years and never had any problem with that either.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
i honestly don't understand why some of you wouldn't use the warranty that you paid for with the purchase of a new car, to get something which is obviously faulty fixed for free. You'd rather pay for it? Am i the only one who doesn't get this? I can understand why TJ doesn't as he mods his car a lot and many things would be turned down because of that, but for those who have a stock vehicle, why not get the part replaced for free under warranty??

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
This has been an issue over on the Sportage section too. I have both Sportage and Rio and, like OzSLS says, they are covered under warranty, so what's the big deal. Dealer orders in a new wheel (because they KNOW of the problems some have reported) and call you in to replace it at your next service. Can't say it's an issue here in Australia, perhaps just the overseas models made outside Korea?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
i honestly don't understand why some of you wouldn't use the warranty that you paid for with the purchase of a new car, to get something which is obviously faulty fixed for free. You'd rather pay for it? Am i the only one who doesn't get this? I can understand why TJ doesn't as he mods his car a lot and many things would be turned down because of that, but for those who have a stock vehicle, why not get the part replaced for free under warranty??
depends on the item, and depends how far you are from the the dealership and you have to weigh up your cost in getting there and the inconvenience encountered in getting it corrected.

In the case of the steering wheel cover, some people may feel that getting it replaced under warranty might just give you the same problem again and may want something better, rather than go through it all again. Like I said it has never been a problem to me on two Kia vehicles.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
This has been an issue over on the Sportage section too. I have both Sportage and Rio and, like OzSLS says, they are covered under warranty, so what's the big deal. Dealer orders in a new wheel (because they KNOW of the problems some have reported) and call you in to replace it at your next service. Can't say it's an issue here in Australia, perhaps just the overseas models made outside Korea?
The Rio and Sportage are built in Korea for the North American market and also this would apply to Australia too.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts

but guys, just get it changed under warranty. In Oz they have 5 year warranties so if it wears every year, i'll just get a new steering wheel every year lol.. stand up for yourselves, you're quote within your rights.
According to my dealer (north America) it's not a covered warranty repair, since it arises from "unusual wear and tear."

·
Registered
'13 Rio 5-Door EX, '09 MINI Cooper S, '86 Syncro Westfalia
25 Posts
i honestly don't understand why some of you wouldn't use the warranty that you paid for with the purchase of a new car, to get something which is obviously faulty fixed for free. You'd rather pay for it? Am i the only one who doesn't get this?
I don't think anybody has said they're not gonna get it replaced under warranty. Regardless of whether the fix is free or not, it's still upsetting to have something fail prematurely. Also, for some people, the nearest dealer could be far away, among other potential hassles.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Isnt the leather on the steering wheels leatherette?

I remember seeing somewhere that said what material it is. Leathette is not leather, its a synthetic sheath that has leather look and feel designed as a vinyl of sorts. That material not designed for prolonged use.

Many companies use it it just comes down to who the supplier is to Kia

·
Registered
Kia-Rio EX 1.4 Hatch Petrol (Silver)
26 Posts

The warranty on those kia's depends on the dealer you deal with. Some dealers reply is (This is common on all kia rio's) from my experience. Certainly have not the time to keep going back to dealers, with them hoping you will get pissed off of going back. My experience for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
what i'm saying is don't be afraid to stand up for your rights. Most of the time, expendable or consumable items are not covered under warranty, such as wiper blades, brake pads and so on. However when a consumable item fails prematurely, it is most certainly covered. Eg a seat wearing within the first few months, paint/clear coat wearing off the door handle, a button on the dash wearing down quickly, or this steering wheel issue. Yes i guess if you're a long way from the dealer then it could be a 'hassle' but anything warranty related will be in that case.

Trust me, i've been there and done that, and have had an absolute lemon of a new car back in 2005 which the dealer had more than i did. I sold it after 6 months, after losing hair and sanity. It was never fixed, even with the DESIGNER of the car, and 4 x transmission designers riding around in the car to analyse it.

Depending how your dealer is run, some will try and avoid as much expense as possible, while others are very good and run on an ethical standard. A lot of the time things like the steering wheel will be at the discretion of the service manager, and since it's wearing prematurely for a few people, will most likely be no problem to fix.

And yeah it's most likely not real leather, it's commonly referred to as pleather these days or plastic leather. I checked mine again last night, definitely no wearing on mine yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am only 6 blocks from the original dealer, but I am the 3rd owner so I am almost sure I will get the runaround. I do not like the leatherette / pleather so I am going to cover it. I have ordered a black 100% leather Wheelskin steering wheel cover that should be here in a couple of days. Now don't get me wrong if I have a mechanical problem,off to the dealer it will go, but I would rather correct cosmetic issues on my own and not have to pull the car off the road for about a day when I can cover it with real leather in less than 30 minutes and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts