Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend was complaining about her car so i thought id take it for a drive. I never ride in her car and whenever we go anywhere together its in my car. First thing i noticed whenever i started it was the ticking noise......i checked the oil and there was none.....*gritting my teeth* i drained about 1/2 qrt from the pan and changed the filter......a week later while outside smoking I decided to check the oil.....again none. So I added oil and added an dye to the motor. I let the car run for close to 8 hours in the garage (garage door open of course), Crawled underneath it and checked to see if i could find a leak (since there was no oil on the driveway i was assuming it was burning it but i wanted to be sure). It was leaking from EVERYWHERE!!! Front crank seal, rear main valve cover gasket......and so on and so on....so being the car junkie i am i decided the best thing to do was pull the motor and start cleaning everything up start over from scratch new gaskets from top to bottom and a good cleaning on the cylinder head and cams...I started taking the car apart and when i pulled off the valve cover i almost passed out.

Now i have the head off the motor, so now all i have left to do is pull the motor and tranny out, BUT i have a problem. Does anyone know of any places to rent an air compressor? OR does anyone know of a way to get the axle nuts off? I am almost to the point of cutting them off, because i can not figure out a way to get them off. I havent a clue as to what they are torqued to but im assuming by all the weight i have put on them to pull them off its alot more than the average axle nut.
So a place to rent a compressor or maybe a lil trick to get the nut off would greatly be appreciated.
I am used to working on cars with air tools and having everything there available for me, like all my tools and shop manuals if i get caught in a tight spot. No one at my job knows anything about KIAs so I am pretty much on my own on this one. I dont know everything there is to know about cars or I wouldnt be here. Sure my title is technician at my job but I am still learning. I have pulled the motor on my mustang a couple times prior to this, but my Mustang is a 5.0 and ALOT different than this korean car :D

p.s. sorry for the novel :57:

·
Registered
14 Posts
DAMN that engine has some FUNK in it! How many miles are on the car? You may want to re-ring the pistons while you are at it, I would suspect they have less than ideal compression if the car was run with low oil levels for any extended length of time. I don't think the air compressors sold at Wally-World will be up to the task you have in mind. Try the tool rental counter at Home Depot. US Rentals (If they are in your area) will rent you monsterous sized air compressors. You could try a thread release solution available at most machine shops, just basically a high grade WD-40 that you would soak the affected connection with for a few hours to a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.